MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IE8 Compatibility issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the new IE8 browser it states MyBB has a compatibility issue saying MyBB is designed for older browsers. Is that odd? I thought I'd check out VB's forum and IPB. I didn't get this button to pop up for those forums. So why is MyBB throwing this up here? It also happens at my forum, so I assume it's across all MyBB forums?

Bug?? Meh... questionable. A pain in the rear for using IE and MyBB forums. Yes.. I'm really diggin the IE8 and plan on using it, sooo, if this is not considered a bug, please consider moving this to the general discussion forum so it gets some feedback please.

Thank you
Either you clicked that, or it is being used because, it looks like, mybboard.com is on a global list of "Tested" sites done by IE developers that apparently "don't work" 100% IE8 so it automatically renders it using the IE7 "quirks" engine. They periodically test sites in that list and remove them from the list as they are updated to work with IE8.

However, that does not mean that is it a problem specific to the MyBBoard software. If you are going to file bug reports, file them on individual problems where the MyBB forum software doesn't work with IE8 with the default MyBB theme. Obviously include relevant details, so we can fix the problem.
If the compatibility view icon appears, it doesn't necessarily mean it's being used. I just visited the MyBBoard website again using IE, and the icon appears, but it isn't selected. Selecting it or deselecting it doesn't show any differences.
I did a minor tweak a couple hours ago and all seems well for IE8 rendering (basically limiting the IE workarounds to < IE8). Unless I start to find some major issues a bravo is in hands for IE8's standard compliance.