MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to switch off thumbnails generation ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, how to switch off of thumbnails generating in /uploads dir completely ?
I have switched off show thumbnails option in Admin CP , but they are generated in uploads dir anyway, and this dramaticaly slowing down my server ... How i can disable this function completely ?

thanks
R.
(2009-03-20, 01:15 PM)RolF2 Wrote: [ -> ]this dramaticaly slowing down my server

How do you know it's those??

It'll probably be possible by commenting out some of the attachment.php code, I'll edit in what it could be in a bit.
(2009-03-20, 02:23 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]How do you know it's those??

Well, i'm running MyBB on slow machine , and picture upload with thumb generation is taking a lot of time ... (i tested same picture upload without thumb generation in SMF and picture is uploaded in less than second , when in MyBB this can take even 15 sec ...) , so i would like to switch off thumbnail generating in MyBB if possible ...

R.
Is this not ACP => Configuration => Posting => Show Attached Thumbnails in Posts => As Download Link...?
Well, seems he's turned off thumbnails there but the image that would be shown as a thumbnail is still being generated.
yes, and same thing if you select "show as download link" - thumbnail is still generated ...

R.
I suppose it's like that so if ever thumbnails are turned on again, there is a thumbnail for all the images where necessary. Otherwise there'd be broken images all over the place.

I had a look in some files and think I know what needs to be edited, I'll look again when I can access Notepad++, unless someone beats me to it Toungue
Consider yourself beaten, Mr. Matt... Toungue I think I understand what he means - this isn't tested.

In ./inc/functions_image.php, the easiest thing to do is to comment out the entire contents of the generate_thumbnail() function. That way the function will still be called, but it won't actually do anything. Just sits there, looking pretty...

Things like avatars won't be affected. Although, I don't know what this will mean for the already existing thumbnails - I would imagine they stay as they are...