MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Security Guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are just a few tips aimed at new users to MyBB to help ensure their forums are as secure as possible Big Grin
  • Check for Updates
    Use the built check for updates feature of MyBB, by logging into the froums admin and clicking the 'Version Check' link in the top left, below 'CP Preferences'.
    On this page you can ensure you are using the most up to date release and can also inform you of any important security updates which you may need to install. It is a good idea to check for updates every week or so, just to make sure.

• Change MySQL Tabel Prefix
    Most of the vulnrebilites that have existed for MyBB relied on the fact that the table prefix was 'mybb_' so if it was something else then it wouldn't work.
    So it is a good idea when installing your copy to change the default of mybb_ to anything else. If you have already installed your copy of MyBB, you can still change the table prefix, its just a little more difficult. You can rename each table in the datbase and then change the setting in the config file:

$settings['table_prefix']

• Change Admin Directory
    Recent versions of MyBB now allow you to change the admin directory from '/admin' to whatever you want and it set in the config file as

$settings['admindir']
    The links in the page headers will still work for valid administrators, but it just makes it that bit harder for people to find it and try to gain access.
Not sure I follow on how to change the admin directory.
-Just rename it, and then change that in the config file? Which config file? I looked at the only config file I can find and it has no such thing in it...

Please advise.
jedk Wrote:Not sure I follow on how to change the admin directory.
-Just rename it, and then change that in the config file? Which config file? I looked at the only config file I can find and it has no such thing in it...

Please advise.
Rename the admin folder to something random like K7n6PL3 or something and edit the inc/config.php file and you have to add the following line:
Quote:$settings['admindir'] = "K7n6PL3"
It doesn't exist in the config file by default, it has to be added.

Hope that clears it up Smile
Much clearer - thanks. Smile
-Where do I add the line of code at, though? I don't really understand PHP/etc all that much, so I need really specific instructions when it comes to modifying the code. All that's there is the <?php?> thingy, so... do I put it before, after, or between <?php and ?>

Appreciate the help.
Add it after the last $settings['whatever'] line, but before the ?>
Oops, yeah.
-I was looking at the default inc/config.php file (before you ever even upload/install everything), which is why I was confused.

Very easy now that I'm looking at the right/updated file. Smile
-Thanks.