MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving to new server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am no genius on this but I unfortunately haven't got anyone on this side to help. I have a MyBB 1.2.13 forum setup on a server now. I am in the process of changing the website to a new server and then upgrading to 1.4.x , My question is, What is the best process for moving the forum? I do currently have full ftp access to both servers but limited access on the current one, which is one of the reasons for moving the site ( it was free but limited). Any help (details needed) is greatly appreciated.

Kurt Johnston
You can either zip up the files from the current server, and upload + extract that on the new one, or FTP them there directly. Remember your database backup too - when you make the new database, after you've imported the backup, you'll need to edit ./inc/config.php to point to the new database.
Thanks,

My biggest concerns were whether I needed to change any pointers and which ones.

(2009-03-22, 05:11 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You can either zip up the files from the current server, and upload + extract that on the new one, or FTP them there directly. Remember your database backup too - when you make the new database, after you've imported the backup, you'll need to edit ./inc/config.php to point to the new database.
What do you mean by a 'pointer'??
something in a config file that "points" to a new location like you mentioned in the config.php file...Sorry if the syntax I use isn't correct
Well, unless your URL has changed, all you'll need to do is update the database details in config.php to load the new database.
I am glad you said that because the old URL is going to be parked and redirected, the URL will be changing. What else will need to be done?

(2009-03-22, 07:07 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Well, unless your URL has changed, all you'll need to do is update the database details in config.php to load the new database.
If you change your Board URL and Cookie Settings just before you move servers, to what they will need to be, it'll break the current forum, but will sort itself out when it's on the new URL.
OK Matt, this is where you completely lose me. Where are the Board URL and Cookie Settings at? I didn't set up the forum when we originally did it and I have been trying to learn where stuff is but, it is a slow process.
ACP > Board Settings > Change > General Configuration. Only do this right before the move, because it will break the forums until it is actually using the URL that these settings are based on.
Pages: 1 2