MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: OpenSearch engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OpenSearch Plugin for MyBB

This plugin adds the OpenSearch* engine to your board. So every user can search your board directly with it's browser.

Because the other Search plug-in here doesn't work together with Internet Explorer 7 I decide to make my own. It is 100% compatible with Internet Explorer 7 (and above) and Firefox 2 (and above).

Copy the file to plugin directory and activate it. Thats all! No modifications to database or files need to be made (also the plugin do not modify any template)!

If you want to upgrade the plugin with a newer version, just overwrite (upload again) the file an reaktivate the plugin (deactivate and aktivate).

Hint: Place a favicon.ico in your root diretory. It's not necessary but it looks better when using Firefox. Wink

* What is OpenSearch?
I accidentally posted this in the review cos i missed the link for the support page.

there is one bug i think.. it keeps asking me to login when i try to search even tho i am already logged in.

or did i do something wrong?

also how do i add my forums icon next to the search like for example google shows the google icon. I do have a favicon for my page.
(2009-03-23, 05:12 PM)madshark Wrote: [ -> ]there is one bug i think.. it keeps asking me to login when i try to search even tho i am already logged in.

hm, can you give me the link to your board please? are there some special permissions you made?

(2009-03-23, 05:12 PM)madshark Wrote: [ -> ]also how do i add my forums icon next to the search like for example google shows the google icon. I do have a favicon for my page.

simply put a favicon.ico to your root directory.
Instead of having to enable the (ugly) friendly redirection pages, couldn't your plugin add an extra page which simply redirects the search queries as POST data?
nope i havent made any special permissions...

does the name of the icon have to be favicon.ico ?

thanks
congratulations man ! Big Grin
(2009-03-24, 11:14 AM)madshark Wrote: [ -> ]nope i havent made any special permissions...
url = www.swamp.kimbula.com

does the name of the icon have to be favicon.ico ?

thanks

ok, after some testing I found the reason: The search request isn't send by user. it's send by your webserver themself (with curl). but your webserver isn't a valid user and so the search request is not allowed.

this problem only happen, when guests are not allowed to search the board! in other cases there is no problem!

I try to find a solution (maybe the server can send the admin-cookie? hmmm, just an idea...).

And yes, the facivon should named /favicon.ico - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon
This is also the first place where most browsers search this file (independent from webmaster settings).
Hi madshark,

I have solved the problem! Also there are no known limitations in version 1.2 and above!

Now, there is no need for curl support or friendly redirection pages! Smile
(2009-03-26, 08:57 AM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Hi madshark,

I have solved the problem! Also there are no know limitations in version 1.2 and above!

Now, there is no need for curl support or friendly redirection pages! Smile

I attach version 1.3 in this post until my update isn't activate in mod section.

Thanks Big Grin I downloaded the previous version but it didnt work, im sooo pleased this has been released, thanks Big Grin
Hint for all: With this plugin it is also possible to post a search-request for keywords to your users.

Example for cGamer Forum: Wink

Search for posts with keyword "Game"!

Just use:

[url=http://example.com/search.php?action=opensearch&keywords=foobar]Search for posts with keyword "foobar"![/url]
Pages: 1 2