MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: re-install help needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK

After the missing files problem and the member register problem and the save buttons missing I have come to the conclusion that something is corrupt.

I want to do a clean install.

But I want to keep my custom theme and keep all existing forum data.

It doesn't look like a simple upgade and I'm not the best in the world with php/mysql/servers and anything complicated - so it would be helpful if someone could just give me a few pointers in a step by step procedure.

What I need to know is:

1 - How do you backup your existing theme?
2 - How do I get all the forum data from the database and insert it into a another database?

Any help would be good (please Smile)
1. In admincp you can "export" the theme's XML but you will also need to save the images inside the themes image folder.

2. Best option is phpmyadmin export/import feature.
Quote:2. Best option is phpmyadmin export/import feature.
So would I just export/import data - not structure?

Would that work?
Use complete export (structure and data).

Then import into a new database. Personally I think you are going about this the wrong way. Easier to find out what's currently wrong than to start over. Doubtful your problems are so severe you need a reinstall.

If you want reupload the entire mybb package minus 2 files...inc/settings.php and inc/config.php

If you are on 1.4.4 then it's very easy to do this.
Well - the reason why I am re-installing is because my host noticed that there were a few columns missing in the database, that, along with my problems above, say to me that there is a major problem.

It is a MyBB 1.4.2 install and when I tried to upgrade, I also get missing file errors Sad

I'm just not skilled enough to deal with such problems Confused so I figured a complete start from scratch was in order
(2009-03-27, 12:37 AM)aguawebs Wrote: [ -> ]I want to do a clean install.

But I want to keep .... all existing forum data.

(2009-03-27, 03:02 AM)aguawebs Wrote: [ -> ]I figured a complete start from scratch was in order

Bit of a contradiction there Undecided If you're keeping the database, all that'll be different is the files, if you download them again, and you can just replace the files now.

What database columns are missing?? I'm quite sure you'd be seeing SQL errors all over the place if some were missing. And what 'missing file errors' do you get when you try and upgrade??
Quote:But I want to keep .... all existing forum data.

I mean the forums, threads and posts.

Quote:What database columns are missing?? I'm quite sure you'd be seeing SQL errors all over the place if some were missing. And what 'missing file errors' do you get when you try and upgrade??
I'll check with my host again to see which column - but I think it was something to do with editing profiles
Could it be your host is a complete moron?

Upload all the files in 1.4.4 package and run the upgrade script. If it doesn't work then yes..it's likely your database has an issue but I bet it can be fixed too.
If you installed correctly (isn't like you can mess it up though really), then unless you went into phpMyAdmin and tampered with the database I can't really see how anything would be missing. Saying that, if something is indeed missing, it can probably just be manually inserted. I can take a look at things if it doesn't work out, unless labrocca wants to first.
Undecided OK - I upgraded - and I'm still getting all the problems mentioned above

Matt - if you could have a look, that would be great... what do you need from me?

(2009-03-27, 09:53 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]If you installed correctly (isn't like you can mess it up though really), then unless you went into phpMyAdmin and tampered with the database I can't really see how anything would be missing. Saying that, if something is indeed missing, it can probably just be manually inserted. I can take a look at things if it doesn't work out, unless labrocca wants to first.
Pages: 1 2