MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paypal Subscribe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think MyBB should have a subscribe feature built in like SMF 2.0 has. So you can allow people to pay money via paypal to be in a certain group.
Not sure this should be a default feature. Also, it's available right now for $5. If you're not willing to pay $5 in order to make income off your site, welp.
(2009-03-28, 07:40 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure this should be a default feature. Also, it's available right now for $5. If you're not willing to pay $5 in order to make income off your site, welp.

And welp i guess those with paysites or sites who live off of donations will just go to SMF or wherever else this feature is already built in. Too bad because most likely it is sites like that who would donate to MYBB but hey your buddy has that covered so who cares. This i know from belonging to many sites both small and very large who stay up because of donations ( One site raised just under $10,000 in 2 months for a new server and if you want a link to it ask ) and as well donate back to phpbb, smf or whatever bbs they are using. But you all go on thinking otherwise. My suggestion is that those doing paid plugins get into doing paid themes as that is where the real money can be made ( see the massive paysites for IPB-VB-PHPBB Themes ) and it doesnt hamstring this softwares development either or it's users. MYBB needs to grow and get known by big business and i dont ever see that happening as long as stuff like this (which business/donation sites use ) is held back on account of a couple of plugin authors.
I think it's a good idea personally.
This should be a default feature imho but realistically it's probably not going to happen till at least 2.0. If mybb plans to add this to default no one would be happier than me. But looking at what they have done and what they need to do I don't think adding this feature to core is on the immediate project list.

SMF adding it is great for them but it's only recently a new addition and it's still only in their beta release. SMF has a LOT less features than Mybb overall.

I am sure eventually this will get added to the core though.

Anyone that really believes I don't want more features in Mybb simply because I have a plugin is smoking something. There is an endless list of projects that I can do for mybb and if a new version (1.6x) comes out with something that I have as a plugin it just saves me the time from trying to update it and clears my schedule to work on something more innovative. I build plugins out of need not to make money. The money I do make justifies the time I have to put into supporting what I release.

/rant
Erm, I take donations and MyBB isn't involved at all. I just have a donation link on my site. Confused

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, or that you should expect to always pay for it. I'm saying for those who need the functionality right now, it's available for $5. Otherwise, you can wait and hope it gets added, or you can simply have a donation link that doesn't use MyBB.

I don't see how paid plugin developers are hamstringing this software.
Quote:I don't see how paid plugin developers are hamstringing this software.

Yeah anyone that believes mybb won't add a feature because it exists as a plugin is simply not thinking clearly. They either believe it's not worthy of being a feature or they want to include it and will eventually. Mybb is normally tight lipped about new features for upcoming version. I have no idea what will be in 2.0 or even 1.6. I am sure everyone outside of the team is clueless. One thing I would like to see immediately added to 1.6 is a contact form.

It's so easy to say "hey this should be a feature" but there are HUNDREDS of ideas they can add. Basically just copy every VB feature and addon and say "please add these". It's years and years of work to add all that. Mybb team is a handful of part-time volunteers. Let's be realistic with what needs to be added and when. There are still bugs in current version and until 1.4x (which is still very recent) is mainly bug free what's the point in telling them to add a long list of features no matter how much they make sense.

1.4.5 should be coming soon as a maintenence release and it has over 100 bugs fixed.

Time management in a project this site is ultra important. What's the point in adding a ton of features if it might delay a release for months. 1.4x seemed delayed well over a year. 2.0 could be 3 years out imho.
(2009-03-28, 11:16 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]Erm, I take donations and MyBB isn't involved at all. I just have a donation link on my site. Confused

Me too. I have a simple link in the footer and it works fine.

[attachment=13294]
(2009-03-28, 11:24 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I don't see how paid plugin developers are hamstringing this software.

Yeah anyone that believes mybb won't add a feature because it exists as a plugin is simply not thinking clearly. They either believe it's not worthy of being a feature or they want to include it and will eventually. Mybb is normally tight lipped about new features for upcoming version. I have no idea what will be in 2.0 or even 1.6. I am sure everyone outside of the team is clueless. One thing I would like to see immediately added to 1.6 is a contact form.

It's so easy to say "hey this should be a feature" but there are HUNDREDS of ideas they can add. Basically just copy every VB feature and addon and say "please add these". It's years and years of work to add all that. Mybb team is a handful of part-time volunteers. Let's be realistic with what needs to be added and when. There are still bugs in current version and until 1.4x (which is still very recent) is mainly bug free what's the point in telling them to add a long list of features no matter how much they make sense.

1.4.5 should be coming soon as a maintenence release and it has over 100 bugs fixed.

Time management in a project this site is ultra important. What's the point in adding a ton of features if it might delay a release for months. 1.4x seemed delayed well over a year. 2.0 could be 3 years out imho.

I dont know as much about coding forum software as you do but i seriously doubt it would take years to add features or cause the delay of a release by month's and if so then someone dont know what they are doing. Not trying to be rude either. My assumption is based on the coding i have had to do at my pay site for weather forecasting models and other related products that are self updating in some cases on the hour and others every 12hrs. verys depending on what it is.

The point is for MYBB to stay ahead of the rest which will mean having what the others do AND THEN SOME while providing a nice secure BBS. Lets not follow down the path of PHPBB. Last thing we need is another one of them where it does take years for things to get added. For free software MYBB up till now has decently remained ahead of the rest but i see no reason why that should stop either just because someone else may have beaten mybb to the punch with a feature. Thats kind of stupid. IMO.

As for the not thinking clearly comment. Lets see them add this and a few others from your collection. Do that and i will become a believer. Everytime the subject has come up they have been quick to defend you which naturally causes extreme doubts in their intentions. Now had they just said this or that will get added and add them without constantly feeling the need to jump to your defense then i would feel differently. I dont force them to do or say what they do and so my thinking has been caused my thier reactions and not just to me either. Anyways actions speak louder then words and so it is a case of we will see. Till then no point in debating it and if i am wrong i will say so. Again as mentioned above there is a ton of money to be made doing themes and we both know great professional themes is lacking here currently. Not talking about simple color changes either. Why you ( or anyone else for that matter ) havent jumped on this is beyond me. You serious about making some money off this stuff then thats where it is at. You ever see that skinbydragonfly.com? If not check it out and then do a search of sites using those themes. I know with your talent you could do well with that especially considering nobody else really does that for this system. Totally open market.

What do you mean by contact form? Sorta like the contact us?
Ya, I think he means a contact us form. Instead of having your email in the footer.Wink

Harry everyone understands this but well we also don't want to have to many features shipped out with it like vBulletin where it's just to much bloat.
Pages: 1 2