MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to block either certain browsers and/or java disabled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
1. Please note this thread/post: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-473...#pid329379 - I don't want to write it again.
2. As a continuation to no. 1, how can I prompt a user who has its jave either disabled or not compatible (very old version) or not installed at all - yes, there still are some people/computers setup like this.

Ori...
Guys... help, if there is a way.
theoretically, you should be able to put some code in the header that would be invisible, but would redirect them to a different page. I don't know how to go about doing it, but it should be possible.
To display a message to other users with old browsers, the answer can easily be found on Google. In fact, I've answered this question here too: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-47495.html

It's almost impossible to "block" a certain browser. As an example, I can easily change my browser to tell your website that I'm using Firefox, when in actual fact, I'm using Opera.

However, it is possible to be able to display a message, or even "block" a user, with a certain browser. In the sessions table there's a useragent field. Basically you can query this, and in a switch statement, display a message/provide a no permissions error. I'll take a look at it this afternoon.
Thanks @Tomm. It's not exactly what I need, but it gives me a start. I did do a search, but with now results - as you know "it's all in the phrasing".
Do you mean javascript? Because java is actually different (fyi).

A method to require javascript would be to initiate something to a cookie using javascript in the header code and then check it with a plugin to see if it exists in the cookie. If not then you redirect or die the page. There might be other methods too.
I think for this is better a plugin developed by labbroca
perhaps my_proxy_killer
@labrocca, you are correct (and I'm not - sorry), I meant JS. I'll look for a script to check this and other thing I want to prompt to the member/guest.
How can something that is designed to stop proxies prevent access by a user's browser?

I haven't finished up on the plugin yet, but should be around on Monday.
Quote:How can something that is designed to stop proxies prevent access by a user's browser?

Because it's already blocking access under certain conditions. It could be modified to stop non-javacript enabled browser imho. But it's better to probably keep it seperate.