MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum Link Only Access?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How can I make a forum not viewable by public yet is accessible via a link?
(I want everybody to be able to access it, but not able to see it on the index page)
Here is a answer I got a few months ago about the same subject - the answer itself is, somewhere, at the last few posts.

Edit: Here is the missing link: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-39811.html
I believe if you put the forum inside a category, give full permissions to that forum, but hide the category, the forum can be accessed by URL.
Hmm. That should work.
Really?
I tried that already, didn't work.
Well, that's what gets suggested other times and people seem to say it works. The forum won't show up because the category is set to be hidden, but the actual forum has full permissions to be viewed.

Edit: Ok, tested, and it doesn't seem to work, no. So, either it's done slightly differently, or people have lied when they've said it's worked for them before Toungue
Lol, maybe a plugin then..?
@Infranight, look at the link I gave you in my previews post. This definitely works. With the instructions there I created a hidden category (only admins can see and work in it directly) and under it I have a forum that everyone (even guests) can view threads and post (except guests). If I whant some user to post a "hidden" thread to me I give him/her the link to it - there no other way for him/her to find it.
B.T.W., I also have a trash can forum under this category so that users do not know that there deleted threads/posts have a way to being recovered.

Ori...
Oh! Like that, ok, let me give it a shot.
EDIT: Thanks! It does work!
EDIT: Nvm, you can't have proper permissions..
(2009-03-30, 08:58 PM)Infranight Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Nvm, you can't have proper permissions..

What do you mean by that? The permissions for the forums (under the hidden category) are set like regular forums - only this forums can't be seen except by direct link. Isn't this what you wanted?
Pages: 1 2