MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to use plugins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am just starting out and while I am an experienced forum user, I have never had anything to do with managing one. I've been looking through the plugins and have found a few that seem like they will be useful for our forum. The main one is the email upon activation. I have downloaded it numerous times but can't seem to get to the next step. I first tried it at home on my Mac and it won't open or anything, I then tried it from my pc at work and it says it has to search the internet for a way to open the file. I really need a tutorial that is VERY basic. I don't even know what PHP is, much less how to get it opened and in my forum.
Help, please Huh
You don't need to know PHP at all... you just upload the file to your server, the readme should say where each file needs to go, and then you activate it in the ACP.
Upload to my server? No clue what that means. I click on download it then opens a page with a little icon that says mailoa.php, no read me file. I tried the Youtube plugin and it did give me a readme file so I'll go try that one again, but this one only gives me the one thing.
Sheesh, sorry to be such a pain.
As in your file manager, where you uploaded your MyBB files. mailoa.php is the plugin file, needs to go in ./inc/plugins/

(2009-03-30, 04:01 PM)BoCRon Wrote: [ -> ]Sheesh, sorry to be such a pain.

No need to be like that... Undecided
Ok, looks like I'm going to have the teenage son look at this for me later since I have even less clue about the last suggestion LOL.
On a side note, is that a minicar in you pic? The little red one.
Which bit is it you're not clear on?? Pretty much all plugins have a file that needs to go in ./inc/plugins/ in your file manager. This is what does all the important stuff that makes the plugin work. Once you have uploaded the file there, it will appear in ACP > Configuration > Plugins, where you can activate it, and then change the settings. If there's just one file in the download, chances are it'll need to go in ./inc/plugins/

And yep, it's a Peel P50 Big Grin
Love the Peel!
I drive a MINI Cooper and the club did a field trip to the minicar museum that is outside Atlanta. There are a hundred + minicars there, we got to drive some of them. So cool, one day I'll get one for myself. What I really want is one of the trucks LOL.
I'm not getting how to upload the file to the file manager. When I download it and go to open it I get a message saying I have to go to the internet to find the format to open it which then takes me to a microsoft page that talks about php files and what they are. The only thing that downloads is a file called mailoa.php which is 5.08 mb. Clicking on it gets me in an endless loop of research LOL.
Annette
I like MINIs too but I'm 6'3" so can't really have one Toungue

And you don't even need to open the file... first you need to copy that file to somewhere on your computer, My Documents or something, then you need to go into your file manager, into the 'inc' folder, and then 'plugins. There should be a link/button to upload files, click that, browse for it, it'll upload, and then you activate it in the ACP.