MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Any Linux Expert?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
^ Eh, I set up my VPS by myself despite having no Linux knowledge at the time. But then, I'm somewhat more committed and learn computer things better than most Toungue
(2009-03-31, 01:58 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]^ Eh, I set up my VPS by myself despite having no Linux knowledge at the time. But then, I'm somewhat more committed and learn computer things better than most Toungue
I have to say the same about me. I am 13 and know more about many aspects of computers the all my elders. If i learn something now, wether someone shows me or i work it out myself, i always remember it. Much like linux. I started using Debian to setup a server for a game. After a month i learnt loads about linux and it's terminal commands.
Realistically I doubt your site needs a VPS though. For $10 a month you can get reliable hosting and not have to deal with being a sys admin on top of forum admin.
(2009-03-31, 02:17 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Realistically I doubt your site needs a VPS though. For $10 a month you can get reliable hosting and not have to deal with being a sys admin on top of forum admin.

I have to agree with labrocca here I doubt that you need a vps. I have one for the fact of the ammount of sites I run and I like to have full control over my sites and such. Just keep with a good shared host. What I'm about to say isn't just you but it seems more and more common that people think they can handle this type of thing when they most likely can't and want something like a vps just to say they have one. Not because they actually need it for the well being and management of their sites.
Quote:Not because they actually need it for the well being and management of their sites.

If anything it's more harmful if the sysadmin doesn't know what he is doing. Site and server are less secure and downtime is more likely to occur.
Pages: 1 2