MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Polls: public vs private
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In order to know how MyBB works before start using it, let me ask you a question:

usually polls in forums are either public or private. Public has the advantage that no one is able to artificially modify the poll. The disadvantage is many people will not vote if they know their choice will be available publicly.

Private ones are the opposite: people will vote more freely and more often if they know nobody will know their choice, but it may happen that they vote many times, artificially modifying the result of the poll.

Is there an intermediate possibility, whereby voting is private, but the program keeps a flag whether the user has voted already or not? (but of course, the program does not keep a record on the choice by the user).
It does already show if you've voted or not... do you mean so the user knows if they've voted, or everyone can see if a particular person has voted??
(2009-04-02, 03:43 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It does already show if you've voted or not... do you mean so the user knows if they've voted, or everyone can see if a particular person has voted??

I mean, in vBulletin, which is the kind of forum I usually use (as a user, I have managed a forum), there are two options for a poll:

1. A user (say user1) may vote, and in the resulting poll chart, it says "user1" has voted choice (...). So, other users are able to know what user1 has voted.

2. A user (say user1) may vote, and in the resulting poll chart, it does not say "user1" has voted choice (...), but only appear the overall result (choice (...) has 288 votes, for example, but it does not state which users are among those 288). So, other users are not able to know what user1 has voted.

The problem with (1) is maybe user1 does not want that other users know his opinion about the poll. The problem with (2) is that user1 could vote several times, and nobody would know.

What I would like is (2), but that user1 may vote only once. If he tries to vote another time, the program should not allow him to do so.
That's how it works Undecided Once you've voted, that's that, you can't edit the vote, delete the vote, or vote again.
(2009-04-02, 03:55 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]That's how it works Undecided Once you've voted, that's that, you can't edit the vote, delete the vote, or vote again.

Really? I always had heard people complaining about private polls, because people could double vote.

But maybe it is because they can have multinicks, and not because they can really double vote.

BTW, is there something in MyBB to avoid multinicks? for example, checking the IP when a user is registering, or something like this?
http://community.mybboard.net/newthread.php?fid=13

Click here, make a poll, vote, and check out how it shows. If this isn't what you want it to be like, let us know Smile

If you go to ACP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Allow emails to be registered multiple times? > NO and then > Maximum Registrations Per IP Address > 1 > that would limit it as much as possible really.
Is there a way to make it so that nobody can see the results except Admin?
Not without a plugin.