MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spell Check
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think MyBB should have a spell check feature. SMF has one that uses a dictionary that is installed on some servers.
Most web browsers have spell checking built in; I don't see why it would be necessary to have that AND a function in a forum system that's no where near as good.
I keep forgetting that. But for IE users (lots of my members are).
(2009-04-08, 06:02 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]I keep forgetting that. But for IE users (lots of my members are).
I use The spell check in Google toolbar. Works a treat.
I don't use spell check because I always try to speeel things right the first time, but many of my members have requested one. I think it's a good idea even though I'd never use it myself.
Why not just introduce your users to Fire Fox? - It's in there! Or you could just ask MS to include that feature in IE. Perhaps you could ask Bill why it hasn't been included as there's likely a 'word' (spell checking) DB already installed that it could access, if one is using a Windows OS/word processor.

IMO, spell checking, in MyBB, would be redundant for non-IE users and a possible database hog.
It's not like anyone really uses proper English (or any other language) on forums anyways. There's already a forum-lingo going around, lol.
IE has historically never included spell checking in it's browser. I seriously doubt we'll see it either. Although with the launch of IE8 Accelerators "Gallery", you can "addon" a spell checker very easily.
(2009-05-04, 07:46 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not like anyone really uses proper English (or any other language) on forums anyways. There's already a forum-lingo going around, lol.

That is very true and I always tell them to speak english so I can understand them, but that's a double edged sword. When people that speak English as a second language see that, they take it literally and decide not to join at all. I find it really sad that our kids are learning to type this as dis and that as dat and all the other lingo going around. It takes me twice as long to read something because people have to skip one letter per word now and change letters so they sound cool or something. "Dat sux cuz I b chillin on da wizzle".
It's really quite stupid and pathetic. I myself always try to use proper grammar and spelling of course, but yeah.
Pages: 1 2