MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Search Bots.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everytime I come to these forums, I see MSN Search, Yahoo! slurp, and Googlebot.
I have no bots online on my forum.
Sometimes MSN comes, but thats that.
I get no bots except MSN.
How Do I get more bots and get them to stay on my forums like these forums?
you must be the first person to actively wish more bots to their forum Smile
then again if you want publicity...you'd want them there I suppose...

The older your website is and the more other sites are linking to it, the more these search-engines will be stopping by...
I would also then check that you don't have a file like robots.txt in your root and the search-engines are not blocked by your server-settings...

cheers,
Kimmo
Thank you.
Would someone here with a high PR site be willing to text link to mine?

Thanks in advance.
Robots check for a robots.txt to see if there are any instructions on what to index.
Try Link Market - it will help you find other people to swap links with. Having lots of links helps increase your PR on Google, in return, webpages with higher PRs get placed closer to the start of matching search queries. It also adds value to your website.

You can add your website(s) to GoogleBot's crawl list by clicking here and filling it out.
To my knowledge MSN does not have a 'submittable' crawling list for their robot. Sad
And here is Yahoo's.

Adding your URLs to their crawl lists using those links will help get the bot to your forum. Your best bet, however, is to link to your site on as many different websites/domains as possible, especially ones that get frequented by search bots a lot (like the really popular forums).
If you were to use a robots.txt file, what should the content of that file be?
Are there specific files or directories that MyBB uses that should be disallowed or does it not matter?
Well mostly MyBB uses empty index.html to prevent users from looking at directories, so I guess not. however, if you wanna disallow something for all users you should check out .htaccess (however only works on Apache servers)

snippet from one of my .htaccess files used on my homepage:
<Files "general.php">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

<Files "config.inc.php">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

<Files "english.php">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

Disallow people accessing those files.

and then I got this
IndexIgnore *
So they get an access denied error while trying to access just an directory and not an file.
Pages: 1 2