MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade to 1.4 Series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

Sorry if I post to a wrong board. I'm helping my friend to upgrade his forum's version

They are currently using old version - 1.2.3 and interested to upgrade to MyBB current version 0f 1.4

My questions:

A) I need some advices on the best practice to run the upgrade. Some of the steps that I can think of so far:
1. backup the database
2. get all plug-ins for the new version
3. upload latest version to the respective folders
4. run the step-by-step guide to upgrade
4. install the required plug-ins

B) Another question is, I'm thinking to install the entire files to a new folder. For example, if currently forum folder is 'abcd' for this one, I want to do upload to 'forum' folder. Reason being, to ensure that the required sub-folders will have the right access setting as it seems some of the setting for the current sub-folders has changed due to server problems previously. Once the upgrade done succesfully, the old forum folder will be deleted.

Would there be any issue if I change the installation folder?

Your advice and share of information highly appreciated.
Your part A is about right, but you need to deactivate all plugins first and it's also a good idea to take a backup of your files too.

For part B, what I'd do, is upgrade to 1.4, then go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration, update the board URL setting and cookie path setting to reflect where you intend to move the forum to, and then simply move the files.
Thanks for your reply.

Your advice for Part (B) sounds good but worries me to do so is because of, since the occurance of problems at server, there seems some of the access setting for the folders has changed but I'm not able to identify what they are. So, I'm thinking to do as what I posted above but I'm not sure if that could cause other issue. What I can foresee, by doing so as in my previous post, I can have a fresh setting for the folder as required by MyBB.

Do you foresee any issues? Else I just follow the current upgrade process - upload new files to the existing folders.