MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guest Post allowed but will require verifcation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

I need my forum to be able to accept POSTS from guests w/o having to sign up first (as this sign-up processes usually discourages lazy people from posting)

So I wanted a way to have Guests post w/o restrictions but their post wont show up until they activate their account.

So Guest Posting should have extra fields such as email account..

Then I'll generate the user name and password for the user, where the user shall activate it from his email....

basically im making the registration process as easy as i can for the lazy ones...

Is there a feature similar to this already in mYBB? if not is there a plugin?

What's the best way for me to go about this ?
This is just a convoluted way of doing the registration process ... if your site is good enough, people will register.
(2009-04-13, 05:24 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]This is just a convoluted way of doing the registration process ... if your site is good enough, people will register.

thanks for your reply..

but it's really not just about how good my site is. im developing a classified ads website, and instead of using a classified ads software, im using myBB w/ modifications..

Point being... based on our studies, a lot of times, people who are not that internet savvy/forum savvy would simply want to spread around their goods for sale to lots of different sites, and often times they look for FREE TO POST no SIGNUP required websites.. as it is easy set and forget thing.. hence i am making the REGISTRATION PROCESS a bit less intimidating.. i guess you can say in a TRICKY way..

quick analogy:
User wants to post his second hand bike.. decides to try the internet..
visits several sites to post his item... he finds sites demanding he signs up before posting, and sites that allow posting anonymously.. he would definitely end up posting his goods on sites where i can type in his goods directly w/o hassle of signup, verifying over email, click click, etc etc..

now my method would simply fool (for the lack of more decent term) most of these people to posting their goods because they are presented w/ the posting form already rather than being forced to signup first.. after they submit the items, then they find out that they have to sign up first BUT in the form of a single click in their email .. so he/she can choose to do this NOW or later....

but.. his valuable post has been aquired.. and he's pre-registered already.. resulting in better chances of signups for my site..

i hope i explained my point well..

So?? what's the best way to achieve this?
Why not just let them post anonymously then ...?

As for what you want to do, the best I can say is that you force them to write their e-mail as their username when posting as a guest and you can go off of that. It can probably be done as a plugin but considering it's so niche it would probably have to be paid.
Quote:Why not just let them post anonymously then ...?

As for what you want to do, the best I can say is that you force them to write their e-mail as their username when posting as a guest and you can go off of that. It can probably be done as a plugin but considering it's so niche it would probably have to be paid.

well posting anonymously means no control over posts and moderation headache.. plus loyalty of your user isnt strong.. basically i want/need them to sign up.... but like me, these users dont want the hassles.. so they need not FEEL" the hassle initially.

I basically got this idea from another forums.. I am a member of around many forums already and it's confusing sometimes.. i wanted to ask about a cellphone feature, but I wasnt feeling like signing up, checking my inbox, activating it, etc, so that i can post my simple question..

So i skipped most forums then i stumbled upon 1 forum w/c i thought was allowing me to post annonymously.. so i was like ok, great! i'll post and just bookmark the page.. after submitting my post i was prompted that before my post is publised i need to validate my account .. im like what account? .. few days later when i checked my email, i found their activation link, and my account pre-registered already... all i had to do is click verification link.. and when i did it prompted me with a text field right away to change my password .. and i did..

a year after, im still quite active in that forum site Smile all because the registration process seemed so seamless, rather than a road block, detour..

Smile

yeah.. so i guess it's a plugin thing i have to make myself then..

I'll probably make a simple NEW THREAD page requesting their email, and then save it to a temporary table, until they verify things.. quite the hassle though.. wish there was another way..