MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The problem with MyBB is..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The problem with MyBB is

It's too freaking perfect and doesn't really need any more updates.. lol

We need more plugins imho and the MyBB staff should concentrate on getting more plugin writers and theme designers into the fray.. Smile
i somewhat agree. but upgrades come with more effective way to write plugins.
(2009-04-16, 04:47 PM)kjaonline Wrote: [ -> ]We need more plugins imho and the MyBB staff should concentrate on getting more plugin writers and theme designers into the fray.. Smile
There is one way of getting more plugins and themes for MyBB. Start writing.
It's not as simple as just pulling plugin writers and theme designers into the forums. We can't force them to write plugins or to design themes - they choose to do this. And it's not even as simple as that anyways, because the community is still growing. And MyBB still needs updates - it what keeps it up-to-date, and for some new releases comes new technology, new ways of making things, enhancements, etc.

Kind Regards,
Tom
No, what i am saying is all the people who complain about a lack of plugins and themes should give back a little to the software they love so much by taking some time and learning some basic PHP and CSS/html and making a few themes or plugins of their own. Immagine if even halph of the 20 thousand members the community forum has contributed a theme!
Yeah, but take that 20 thousand, and divide it by 48.5% - and tell me what you get. Then take that, and divide it by two - and that's how many half of the ACTUAL ACTIVE users we would have submitting things. Then take that and subtract a few by it for the ones that actually can code in PHP/MySQL, or can design.

But besides, my post was towards the topic starter.
Problem is, I have no experience whatsoever with php nor programming at all. I have a degree in the college of nursing though.. That's not the point though, the point is, most of the users here may be inexperienced with programming that's why we opt for free software with free support such as MyBB.. Because if we did have the resources and the knowledge we wouldn't be complaining about the lack of plugins now would we?
(2009-04-17, 08:12 AM)kjaonline Wrote: [ -> ]most of the users here may be inexperienced
And most of the experienced users here, including some of the developers also started with little experience and no formal training in this field. They just took the time (and it really dosn't take long to learn to make themes and simple plugins) to teach themselves PHP, SQL and HTML from other websites and books as well as well as just studying source code.
PHP is probably one of the easier scripting languages to learn. I managed to pick it up and write a somewhat popular plugin as my very first PHP project. Yeah it had a lot of annoying bugs, but that was just due to dumb mistakes like forgetting to copy/paste the template installation code. CSS/HTML is easy and somewhat fun once you realize that you can combine multiple CSS classes in one tag, making building a pretty webpage like playing with Legos. Then, once you're done, you can just change colors and images and you've got another new theme!
Too Good Man, I knew it