MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Metatags and forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
heloo there,

umm i was wondering, if i want to add a meta tag, sure i'll have to put it in TEMPLATE right??

Quote:<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="INSERT YOUR PAGE DESCRIPTION HERE">

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="INSERT YOUR PAGE'S KEYWORDS HERE">

and if so, as i know a metatag should be on each page of a site,

so here when we are dealing with a forum, and php pages that load data from a database, where should we add this metatag so it can collect all the things mentioned on each page

like if i want to list all the posts i have on a specific category, where should i put a metatag.

Many thx
I don't entirely understand what you mean, but if you wish to add meta tags this is usually done by adding them to the headerinclude template.
hey thx for ur reply

yes i know that we add them in head, and that we put then in template

but it's common u do a site ur self, consisted of only html pages , u add metatags to each page!! so u can get search results for everything in a certain page

now we are talking about a forum with lots of topic, so if someone search for a specific topic, there should be a way that this metatag find it in the forum database or collect it someway , coz we can't add metatag to each page of a forum, coz we know that they are generated, " load from database" " displayed on the page"

so what is the way to have a metatag for everything in the forum

2- i have installed one metatag in my indexpage
Quote:<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="a discribtion">

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="my key words">

but while searching through googel they didnt appear they i put them

many thx
Google (and many search engines for that matter) don't use meta tags (as much) anymore, because they're easy to fake. Google for example uses the number of times other pages link to a site to determine how high it should be up the list, checks the page body for keywords and will probably use excerpts from the text on the page as the description.
Like Tochjo said, search engines don't normally rely soley on meta tags, they also search through the content of your site as well. So, if you add good meta tags in your header include, they will be displayed site-wide. Google will take a look at your meta tags and at your content.

And search engines take a long time to update listings, so don't be surprised if the results are not instant.

Cheers!
ok no problem, so u just prefer that i put the metatag in the index page !!

??
zaher1988 Wrote:ok no problem, so u just prefer that i put the metatag in the index page !!

??
No, I recommend that you put meta tags in your header include template. This way they will show up on all pages automatically.
ow ow yeah!! ur right, the same header is included in all page Wink !! gosh this is it Big Grin
It would be nice to have a field to enter META tags in the admin panel like in vB, although it's really not that difficult to add them manually.
I suggest not using meta tags, they have never worked for me...site content and back links are what they are all about nowadays.
Pages: 1 2