MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Copyright Removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do I have to keep the Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2009 MyBB Group. or can I remove it. If I remove it, what will happen?

Thanks!
please refer to http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=9386

"Users who remove or hide the copyright and powered notices will face full prosecution under copyright law. Do not think you are safe, it is easy for us to establish boards running MyBB without the copyright in place." (Chris Boulton, 053106)
I am confuse I thought copyright can remove now but there is a conditino you won't have support form MyBB. right? O.o

thus http://community.mybboard.net/thread-38942.html
no- as quoted from their site you will face prosecution.

"When we establish that the copyright or powered by lines are missing, the administrator of the site is contacted with a cease and desist notice asking that the copyright be put back in place or MyBB be removed from their server. From this time, the user has 72 hours (3 days) to comply with our requests. After an additional 4 days (making it a week), the host of the site is contacted asking the forceful removal of MyBB from their servers. Failure for a web host or the site administrator to comply within this time will result in the MyBB Group being legally assisted to prosecute the site administrator." (Chris Boulton, 053106).

In short- DON'T REMOVE IT! :-P
He can remove it, but he won't be able to get support here.
Yes, that's what I mean he can remove but he will not get any support here.
Ya, so if he does, he can no longer ask for support, so don't even remove it, if something goes wrong with your forum, your on your own.
Jon is correct.

And I keep a note of people who I know have removed it or have asked/thought about doing it so I know to ask for a URL first. Adding it back to get support and removing it again after won't work either.
I've updated the announcement to include a note about the change to GNU/GPL.
Thanks for clarification. I was trying to be helpful by quoting the previous post on the subject.