MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Oracle to buy Sun for 7.5 billion!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
All I know is, If MySQL does get buggier so people stop using it, I will not use oracle. I would rather used File Based Storage.
Err...aren't all databases based on some sort of file? Toungue
(2009-04-27, 12:27 AM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]All I know is, If MySQL does get buggier so people stop using it, I will not use oracle. I would rather used File Based Storage.

facepalm... There are many many other SQL database engines and the whole reason for them is because SQL is more powerful than a flat file database, you can't really compare them :p
Whats the next best thing to MySQL if for some reason they stop supporting it?
Even if they make MySQL more buggier or whatnot, we still have the current version, several forks will arise, and the best fork will be used instead.

Not going to happen however, companies like Yahoo! use MySQL on some of their sites.
(2009-04-26, 06:56 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget thet Oracle has a competing database software. Having MySQL suck benefits them in the billions. They don't have to shut it down...they just have to make it buggier and less secure and people will just stop using it. That's what they did with Cobalt. Four years from now...I predict that another free open source sql project will be the more popular choice over MySQL. Sqlite could be the next big db.

Did you not read my post? Oracle and MySQL aren't competing Database Solutions. They target two different userbases. Oracle is the solution used for large corporation that need Terabytes and even Petabytes or Exabytes (1,000,000,000,000,000 and 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes respectfully) of Data Storage and millions of simultaneous connections. MySQL simply cannot cope with these requirements, so it is geared more towards hobbyists and small businesses that need much much less (Gigabytes and lower).

Oracle can take MySQL and support it, so they are finally in a new market (small business). Then they can provide easy upgrade paths for those who outgrow MySQL and need to move to a more powerful database solution.

Like I said, it would not be a good business move on Oracle's part to take MySQL and dismantle it. That'd be like buying a brand new Ferrari then proceeding to beat it to death with a bat (bad analogy, but you get the point), it just doesn't make sense.

(2009-04-27, 03:29 PM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the next best thing to MySQL if for some reason they stop supporting it?

PostgreSQL or SQLite.
Pages: 1 2 3