MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP MemoryIincrease
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
HI there the forum I have installed throws up an error message that the server limit has been reached, have spoken with the company whos server I use and they have stated that I need to increase the memory on the forum. How do I do this?

I am a complete novice at this stuff so please bare with me...
That's a screw-up on your host's part, it has nothing to do with MyBB.
Ok if it a screw up on their part, knowing that I am a complete novice at this PHP stuff, then what and where do I tell them they are foing wrong. I thought you were able to increase the chache capacity or is it to do with the forum running out of memory???

If you can help point me in the right direction that would be great or point me in the right direction of the person to contact for help in this matter.

baird63
There might be a solution with htaccess. I think that's what your provider means. You can upload a htaccess file with for example this code:
php_value memory_limit 16M and see if this will help. You could check with your provider first ofcourse as not to take to much resources.
So, make a file in a texteditor and save as .htaccess with the line:
php_value memory_limit 16M
inside of it. Upload this to your forum folder and see if it helps.
(2009-04-22, 01:54 PM)knol Wrote: [ -> ]There might be a solution with htaccess. I think that's what your provider means. You can upload a htaccess file with for example this code:
php_value memory_limit 16M and see if this will help. You could check with your provider first ofcourse as not to take to much resources.
So, make a file in a texteditor and save as .htaccess with the line:
php_value memory_limit 16M
inside of it. Upload this to your forum folder and see if it helps.

Sorry to sound thick but would this not have to be pointed to within the site from another page or such to allow the memory to be increased. I appreciate you help with this but I really am a complete numpty when it comes to this stuff.

Would it be in the main body of the forum that I should load this file and what should I call it and where do I link it in to???

Cheers
See if your host has a manual or FAQ that describes how to set the memory limit.

This is different for every host... some require you to set the memory limit from within the hosts control panel; others let you put something in your .htaccess or even your own php.ini.

If there are no docs, ask your host how you can set a higher memory limit.
To be honest I'm a bit surprised they're making you do it, most hosts I know of would do it for you.
Right my brain hurts now. They seem to be telling me that I have to do something with the coding within the forum files???

Could do with knowing how this happens..
No the host has to do this. However try by adding this in .htaccess

php_value memory_limit 32M
HI there guys for want of sounding even thicker than I do at the moment. Have serached through the entire MyBB files and there is no .htaccess within the files.

I know how to create a file, but do not know where to put it or how to link it. I will again ask my server provider if this is something they should be doing, but suspect they will throw it back to me.

If anyone can help, please, I would be very greatful. I understand what you are saying about creating a file and then puting in the relevent inforamtion, however what I do not know is what the file should be called and how it should be linked in to the rest of the forum.

Cheers.
Pages: 1 2 3