MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.6 - Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I searched the forum for information about this and couldn't find anything.
Will there be any HUGE changes in hook names, the plugin system and how everything works? What about Admin CP?

I don't feel like re-writing most of MyPlaza for the second time :/
Ryan's said that he's hoping for 60% of plugins to be fine, many with just the compatibility setting needing to be changed. 1.6 is mainly adding in new features, not changing code that's already there.

Smile
Ok that's awesome Smile MyPlaza might needs some changes I guess, for as 60% of the plugins should work, I think the changes might not be as many as I thought which is great.
Thank you for the quick reply
You'll most definately have to rewrite it for 2.0 though, since MyBB will be essentially rewritten completely. So we're just trying to minimize the pain for 1.6 since there's going to be a lot of it for 2.0.

Ryan
But I hope that 2.0 doesn't get released soon Toungue an entire re-write may take about an year or two as this is not your job Smile
(2009-04-22, 09:18 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]You'll most definately have to rewrite it for 2.0 though, since MyBB will be essentially rewritten completely. So we're just trying to minimize the pain for 1.6 since there's going to be a lot of it for 2.0.

Ryan

Pain is the right word. Still hoping 2.0 is at least 2 years away.
(2009-04-23, 06:51 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Pain is the right word. Still hoping 2.0 is at least 2 years away.

NO... I want 2.0 for Christmas...09! Cool
(2009-04-24, 05:48 AM)StateDOG Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-04-23, 06:51 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Pain is the right word. Still hoping 2.0 is at least 2 years away.

NO... I want 2.0 for Christmas...09! Cool

Lol....to tell the truth, all the people who are only downloading & using will be wanting it sooner! I am one as well. The point is I want the plugin things inside the main installation & which in turn will reduce the complications. Still it is totally understandable why these take so much time! But someone need to wish for the good things always Toungue So we wish it will some sooner than anyone here expecting Big Grin

Best of luck to the developer team (both MyBB & Plugin)
I doubt there'll be much changes that plugin devs have to consider. There really weren't that much from 1.2 -> 1.4 for most plugins (with perhaps exception of the AdminCP, which even then, I think a sort of bridge could be made).
If some of the methods employed in the admincp are implemented in 2.0 such as the form and table classes I will be happy. Overall I think those are good steps in the right direction.

While a bridge might be doable for 1.2->1.4 no one has bothered to make it and at this point all significant plugins are converted. What I really think would have been nice is a theme converter. Lots of themes were completely abandoned in the 1.4x upgrade. Hmm..maybe one day I will tackle that since I haven't bothered to upgrade any of my 1.2x themes.