MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CHMOD 666 is not allowed by the host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello I'm following the instruction on how to install MyBB forum but the web host support told me that they don't allow 666 only 644 or 755

is that ok?
No, settings.php won't work it if isn't 666. Why don't they support 666?? Huh That's being a bit too paranoid on security IMHO...
Try chmod the same way as your host proposed, If it not install corectly then again ask in the same thread Thankyou
I don't think the installer will allow you to do it with 644, it doesn't allow you to continue unless everything's right.
(2009-04-28, 01:42 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the installer will allow you to do it with 644, it doesn't allow you to continue unless everything's right.

If its 777 it may work but I wouldn't recommend it. Contact your host for a reason why 666 isn't allowed. They might be paranoid with security or they could just be scared of the devils number itself

EDIT - Might not work for 755
Yes it is right, But as his host saying to him to CHMOD to 755 , and not the other way round
Would 755 work though?? I didn't think the 55 would be high enough, but if it does work, surely that's less secure than 666?? Confused
ghazal can you instruct me on how to do this?

CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).
./inc/settings.php
./inc/config.php (you must rename config.default.php to config.php first)
./inc/languages/*your_language*/*all files* (optional)
./inc/languages/*your_language*/admin/*all files* (optional)

CHMOD the following folders to 777 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to and execute from them).
./cache/
./cache/themes/
./uploads/
./uploads/avatars/
./admin/backups/ (optional)

I'm confused now. Which file do I need to find? I'm on my cPanel now File manager
You just need to find those files and folders, the paths you need are all in the text you posted, find those, and give them the relevant CHMODs.
Ok Matt I'll try it now
Matt I found the file now. What exactly do I need to do? What I did is right click the file and then edit and then I put 644 as what the support told me and I save it is that right? confused
Pages: 1 2 3