MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My General Musings - MyBB vs others (how you can improve).
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I hate the way everyone who has never used a mybb forum says VB is the best. I tell them that bar the plugins system MyBB is not bad at all, in fact, it's awesome. Profiles need some work on MyBB however. Highlighted threads on index would be nice.

Just a few musings.

Update the profiles, add a highlighted threads on index or portal and then you have a real top software here. If we had a plugin that does what 'VBSEO' does then you'd see more massive mybb forums because they get more members via seo.
No offence, but you haven't really given any suggestions Toungue

How should we update the profiles? Highlight which threads - your subscribed ones?

There are already a range of SEO plugins available too...
Link to SEO plugin?

Look on the site point forums, it's a VB forum and on the index it has highlighted threads.
Thanks Matt

Is that stable for mybb 1.4.5?

Also, doeos that rewrite the URLS

My current ones are like this: /forums/thread-1929-lastpost.html
or
will it be like: /forums/i've-just-been-on-mybb.html
or
will it be like: /forums/off-topic-discussion/i've-just-been-on-mybb.html
It will be like Thread-read-the-fine-manual
I am not so sure of the importance of profile pages imho. Yes some SEO could be worked on but I prefer to pressure mybb team to do more than to actually use plugins which have mixed results. If Mybb started an SEO development team..I would join in an instant. I think VB has done a terrible service to it's members by not addressing SEO and allowing vbseo to charge so much for their software. VB is spending all their efforts into turning VB into a social networking program. I prefer Mybb not follow that path and focus on being the best forum software.

Quote:Highlighted threads on index would be nice.

It can be accomplished with a plugin.
(2009-05-04, 12:24 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I am not so sure of the importance of profile pages imho. Yes some SEO could be worked on but I prefer to pressure mybb team to do more than to actually use plugins which have mixed results. If Mybb started an SEO development team..I would join in an instant. I think VB has done a terrible service to it's members by not addressing SEO and allowing vbseo to charge so much for their software. VB is spending all their efforts into turning VB into a social networking program. I prefer Mybb not follow that path and focus on being the best forum software.

Quote:Highlighted threads on index would be nice.

It can be accomplished with a plugin.

Can add IPB to the vB group with them turning much focus into the social network stuff. Dodgy Agree with you on that. Would be nice just to have just ONE of these bb systems stay focused on development of the forum itself and not try to turn it into something it is not really supposed to be.

The seo stuff really doesnt bother me as much. But i have gotten around it as well where search engines are concerned.

I suppose the profile pages could use a little work but nothing too drastic. Only thing i might do/suggest is add the users latest threads and or posts to it. I believe the reputation system accomplishes the rest with the comments stuff.
Yes, an expanded profile system would be handy, maybe even just a customizable widget system for the members to play around with. Of course, like anything else, it's not a necessity. Look at phpBB - I wouldn't even call that a profile page, but yet they're the first answer when you ask for 'free forum software' :/
BTW vb v.4 has builtin SEO options now.

[Image: furlsoptions.jpg]
Pages: 1 2