MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] canviewthreads error problem [C-StefanT]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The permission string clearly states "Can View Threads" - That is it. If that is set to no, then it simply stops the user from being able to view the threads. Nothing more and nothing less. Giving an error message stopping the user from viewing the forum would be more then the permissions given representation.
Quote:The permission string clearly states "Can View Threads" - That is it. If that is set to no, then it simply stops the user from being able to view the threads.

Yes now can you make sure the correct error displays when it does that. That's all. That's it. Nothing more.

Quote:Giving an error message stopping the user from viewing the forum would be more then the permissions given representation.

Please in your own words explain to me what error they should get. Explain to me the expected behavior when I have "Can View Threads Within a Forum" unchecked. Explain to me what error I should see if indeed a member without the permission to view the threads within a forum goes to forumdisplay.php.

In the end Ryan you will see the problem this I am sure of. Take the time to help me on this.

When people do not have permission to search the site do you allow them to search and then display a "sorry no results" page? No...you don't. Instead mybb properly displays the error_no_permission page.
(2009-05-04, 05:01 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Giving an error message stopping the user from viewing the forum would be more then the permissions given representation.

Please in your own words explain to me what that permisson should do then. Explain to me the expected behavior when I have "Can View Threads Within a Forum" unchecked. Explain to me what error I should see if indeed a member without the permission to view the threads within a forum goes to forumdisplay.php.

If "Can View Threads Within a Forum" is unchecked then that means the user "Shouldn't be able to view the threads within a forum" - no more, no less. And when you uncheck that permission do you see any threads within the forum? Nope. But do you still see the forum and the subforum list above it and everything else that would normally be there? Yes.
Quote:And when you uncheck that permission do you see any threads within the forum? Nope.

Correct but the message is stating that no threads or posts exist. It's a permissions issue and it needs to stated to the member.

What don't you get here? C'mon Ryan...what's the problem?
(2009-05-04, 05:10 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:And when you uncheck that permission do you see any threads within the forum? Nope.

Correct but the message is stating that no threads or posts exist. It's a permissions issue and it needs to stated to the member.

If that is really that big of a deal to you then I can look into changing it for a future version. It shouldn't be too hard for you to change it yourself in the mean time.
I did change it in the meantime. That's not the point. It's a bug. Fix it. You marked it bogus. It's a bug.

You're being unreasonable. You still don't get it do you.

As a guest view this site:
http://www.ftw.net.au/index.php

See all the forums with zero posts (-) those are set to view forums but not view threads within forums.

Now click into one of those forums:

http://www.ftw.net.au/forum-66.html

Quote:Sorry but there are currently no threads in this forum with the specified date and time limiting options.

If you took a moment to look at the logic of the function of forumdisplay.php you will see that you correctly have it blocking display if canviewthreads is not allowed. What's not correct is that a error_no_permission is not set for the error. The existing error only occurs because the script gets to the next part of the page and since it didn't do an sql query all variables are empty. It should instead break with an error_no_permissions.

OMG..gonna have a heart attack if this continues.
(2009-05-04, 05:14 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I did change it in the meantime. That's not the point. It's a bug. Fix it. You marked it bogus. It's a bug.

You're being unreasonable. You still don't get it do you.

Lol, calm down, I'm at school - Was running out of class when I made that reply. I didn't have time to move it back to the bug reports.
Yea this is stupid. Why argue when it clearly is a miscoding/bug? Rolleyes
Thank you.
(2009-05-04, 07:57 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]Yea this is stupid. Why argue when it clearly is a miscoding/bug? Rolleyes

If it was "clearly" a bug then our SQA members, the members who reported the bug, and the developers would have noticed something. This is not "clearly" a bug - It's interpretation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4