MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] canviewthreads error problem [C-StefanT]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I for one would love to know how to fix this. But i dont and that sucks.
My forum has been running for a year or so now and setup a certain way. Now the only way i can see a way around it is to open it up for all to see. Not what i wanted at all but as it stands now unregistered users miss out on seeing many of the posts and dont get a correct permissions error rather a date and time thing which makes no sence to me or others. It actually makes my forum look as though it has very few posts/threads when infact it has quite a few.
Hope this get fixed up in the next release.
A temporary fix is found in the first post DAMINK: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-492...#pid345028
Damink...I will fix this for you if you want. PM me at Mybb Central if you do want me to. I'll do it in the morning.
I know what you mean with this issue. I have a section which only allows members with 100 posts to view it, so its a private forum for those members. If you dont have 100 posts and try to view the forum you get the error

Quote:Sorry but there are currently no threads in this forum with the specified date and time limiting options.

When this is not correct, it should say something like

Quote:You currently do not have permission to view this forum and the posts

The same as it does when guest try to post when they arent allowed to.
To me it does give an incorrect error message, and makes it look like there are no posts or topics in that section when there are.

Regards

Tyke
In the German support forums (mybboard.de) several users reverted this change.

This is because before, in MyBB 1.4.4, their forums looked like this:

[attachment=13736]

And after the update to MyBB 1.4.5 - which they considered a bugfix, no new features, i.e. no big changes - release, it looked like this:

[attachment=13737]

And they did not even notice at first, because only guests see it that way, and the forum admin who made the update is of course a registered user so... users of the forum complained to their admins about it, and the admins were pissed and complained in the german mybboard.de forum about it, etc.

From your point of view maybe this was a simple bugfix, from the users point of view it's a big change they knew nothing about before upgrading, so it's understandable that they are a bit miffed.

The reason the admins removed the 'can view thread' permission for guests, prior to MyBB 1.4.5, was that guests should be allowed to see that the forum has something to offer, but force them to register in order to be able to actually read it (i.e. show them the meat but not actually give it to them). It's a popular measure, even employed by big forums like theadminzone.com (although it's slightly different there, they allow guests to read 5 threads, then force them to register).

I don't like forums that do this, but until 1.4.4, for some forum admins the can view threads permission was useful for this. Since 1.4.5, removing the can view threads permission leads to the forum showing up as empty, and I don't know if that's useful to anyone.

Personally I think the best solution is to enable 'can view threads' always, but remove 'can view forum' if you want a forum to be private.
Functionality should be programmed to what it means - not how the mass majority interprets it, because that is simply incorrect. If you want to make a suggestion adding a permission that does that instead then make a suggestion.

Also if you want to make a plugin or a code modification then there is nothing stopping you from doing that.
(2009-05-05, 12:04 PM)tyke Wrote: [ -> ]I know what you mean with this issue. I have a section which only allows members with 100 posts to view it, so its a private forum for those members. If you dont have 100 posts and try to view the forum you get the error

Quote:Sorry but there are currently no threads in this forum with the specified date and time limiting options.

When this is not correct, it should say something like

Quote:You currently do not have permission to view this forum and the posts

The same as it does when guest try to post when they arent allowed to.
To me it does give an incorrect error message, and makes it look like there are no posts or topics in that section when there are.

Regards

Tyke

That's my point. It's simply the wrong error message. Ryan...I am not asking you to revert the change. The change is 100% fine with me. The issue is the actual error message not being accurate.

Quote:The reason the admins removed the 'can view thread' permission for guests, prior to MyBB 1.4.5, was that guests should be allowed to see that the forum has something to offer, but force them to register in order to be able to actually read it (i.e. show them the meat but not actually give it to them). It's a popular measure, even employed by big forums like theadminzone.com (although it's slightly different there, they allow guests to read 5 threads, then force them to register).

And now it doesn't dangle the carrot...it simply tells non-members there are zero threads. Big mistake..this got past SQA and mistakes happen but own up to them. As I pointed from the original thread...even Yumi who at the time was on staff made the same conclusion for change that I did. That's the alteration of the if statement and the error_no_permission. That's the proper mybb method to fix this.
(2009-05-05, 07:34 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]And now it doesn't dangle the carrot...it simply tells non-members there are zero threads. Big mistake..this got past SQA and mistakes happen

A simple message is not a "big mistake". It's a "small mistake", possibly even a "small oversight".

(2009-05-05, 07:34 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]but own up to them.

And how am I not "owning up"? Maybe if I put this back in bogus, then your statement would be correct but it's not. So chill out.

Unless you have anything else to add directly relating to the bug, there is no need for further responses.
I think you're right..it's a small mistake and an oversight. But this thread has imho blown that up into a bigger problem. Mostly because it is a small mistake but one that should be corrected.

I am chill...I just wanted this worked on. I guess it really bothered me you marked this as bogus.

So thank you Ryan for placing this into bugs and for fixing this for us. I truly do appreciate that.

Thank you.
I talked to Chris and we're simply going to revert it back to the 1.4.5 way. So essentially this bug report will now be considered bogus: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-43658.html

That also means that this bug report will be marked as duplicate because it is one in the same as this one (a regression from Michael's bug report) http://community.mybboard.net/thread-49425.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4