MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread Banning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think we should have a feature, like vBulletin that can let the mods ban a user from a specific thread.

The only different thing I'd want with this feature is for the mods to add a reason.
(2009-05-04, 01:46 AM)Nunymare Wrote: [ -> ]I think we should have a feature, like vBulletin that can let the mods ban a user from a specific thread.

The only different thing I'd want with this feature is for the mods to add a reason.

IF ONLY.. All boards had this one. This past winter i certainly could have used something like this.

Good idea.
vBulletin is 90% bloat you know. This isn't a necessary feature and I highly doubt it would ever be included.

We aren't trying to make a free version of vB, as some people seem to think.
(2009-05-04, 02:21 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]vBulletin is 90% bloat you know. This isn't a necessary feature and I highly doubt it would ever be included.

We aren't trying to make a free version of vB, as some people seem to think.

Why would you think that it isn`t necessary?

If a user is acting up in a thread, then you just ban them from that particular thread.

This feature could come in handy in innumerable ways.
Why would I think it's necessary? There's thousands of little things which are handy, but none of them are a must, and a thousand little 1kb changes and additions makes MyBB just that extra MB bigger - that's a big difference from what it is now.

IMO it's just bloat, and you have to expect some amount of negative input on everything - it makes you realize the potential issues of adding feature x. It's too specific.

Maybe I've just had bad experiences with this feature. It tends to make moderators 'overmoderate', which you must know is a big problem. All the sudden a user is banned from 10 different threads, when he had said something in the past. Now he wants to read over the thread and see where he went wrong, but he can't.

And innumerable ways.. I can only see one - you ban a user from the thread. Bing bang boom, no other benefits that I can see. Just a side note, if a user is acting up in one thread, don't you think he'll just go troll another thread?

That's my feelings and opinions on the matter.
Well, instead of banning the user entirely/from the forum, it's more simple to remove them from a discussion.
(2009-05-04, 02:51 AM)Nunymare Wrote: [ -> ]Well, instead of banning the user entirely/from the forum, it's more simple to remove them from a discussion.

If they can't learn to behave in a thread, they need to be removed from the forum.
Say they were having a fight with the user, you could just ban them from the thread. It could come in handy.
(2009-05-04, 02:55 AM)Nunymare Wrote: [ -> ]Say they were having a fight with the user, you could just ban them from the thread. It could come in handy.

And they will just fight elsewhere. This is a bandaid solution to a deeper issue.
Not if the 'elsewhere' isn't the same topic of the thread they were fighting in.

I just think this would be a good, handy tool.
Pages: 1 2