MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Few idea's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Things I would love to see in this or any other forum app:

myBB SDK

I would like to see a software development kit for myBB. Basicly a group of functions, or a class built around the idea of talking to the myBB database and generating pages from it.

I belive this could give us more 'upgrade safe' modfications, and make myBB hacking more uniform and easier.

Content Shells

Currently the header/footer templates are appended to every page. I would like an option that would allow me to build a content shell. Basicly this could be a template, and would wrap around all other content generated by the script.

I would like to be able to have multiple shells that I can save and use later, and I would like to be able to apply the shell I want to certain pages.

The SDK is already planned..

About the Content Shells, do you mean something like a "page wrapper" or a "wrapping template?" where you have one page which defines the basic outline of every page, includes the header, footer and a place for the content to be?
Thats basicly the idea, mabey it would be good to add some ability to include a php file when the shell is called. Then I could add some logic to the shell for stuff like sidebars and other info I may need to query.

Okay, in relation to the SDK, what would you like to see?

GetProfile
LatestThreads (from specific forum too)
LatestPosts?
GetForums?
CheckUser
WhosOnline
TodaysEvents?

Etc. Let me know what you're interested in and I will get started on it right away Wink

Chris.
I would like to see alot more then that, im heading to bed now but i'll type up a list tomorrow morning.
Okay, just post it here and i'll get started on it Smile
As promised:

Users

Register user
delete user
ban user
get acount details for display
apply permissions
read permissions
log-out/log-in user

usergroups
delete groups/add groups
add new permission feilds to existing groups
edit groups

forums
Get threads
change permissions
manage topics (for mod options)
Get posting stats for forum
add forums

threads

Get posts/or post within thread
add threads
manage posts/thread
add reply to existing thread
subscribe user to thread

Calendar

Get events
Add event
delete event
edit event

I can probbly brainstorm some more, I know some are probbly not as clear as they need to be on the list. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to disscuss the matter further
Okay, I have started on it but at the moment its pretty basic. Take a look at the attached file. Hopefully it works in RC3 (Although I haven't even tested it for parse errors.)

First you have to include the sdk, then:

$mybb = new MyBB;
if(!$mybb->connect())
{
die("Unable to connect to MyBB!");
}
$stats= boardStats();
$profile_of_chris = getProfile("", "Chris Boulton");

Most functions return an array of the data..

Tell me what you think of it..
I will have to download and install RC3 has a lost it in a format, once it is up ill do some testing.

I like what i've read of it altho its only going one way (SELECTS) at the moment. I think later in dev it would be a good idea to split them out to sub-classes for includion as needed to avoid some overhang and a god class.

Mabey allow dev's to build and load their own classes via that file to, that would help extented it with ease.

I'll be back for a report in a bit Smile
This seem like a really good thing, and I want to test it, except, I dont know how. If someone has time to explain how to set it up, it would be nice.
Pages: 1 2 3