MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Username field mod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm searching for a way to modify MyBB so that unregistered users are forced to change the default Username from Guest to something of their own choosing. Even with the Username field left blank, it allows a post to be made, defaulting to Guest as the username. Other fields such as Thread Subject are left blank by default when attempting to post a new message and require the entry of text before posting is allowed. Is there a way to apply this to the Username field as well?

I'm trying to avoid forcing registration, but want to give my forum users an extra nudge to pick their own unique username. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Update: I discovered that you can register the username "Guest" just as you can any other name. When this is done, a forum will still welcome you as Guest if you are not logged in, but when you attempt to post a message, the username field is left blank instead of displaying Guest by default. However, when you actually post a message with the username field left blank, it will still allow the post to be made as Guest. The only difference being that a post made while logged in as the registered user Guest (top post in attached image) will have the username converted into a link to the profile for that account, while a post made with the username left blank (bottom post in attached image) will not.