MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mobile "interface"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so i already mentioned this... but don;t think it will hurt if i bring it up again :}

i downloaded a plugin -MyBB eCellular 1.1.2- that was suppose to make the forum easier accessible for mobile phones, on my BB Storm i saw no difference and a Curve user couldn't get on the forum at all (until i deactivated the plugin) so that was counter productive :}

the whole intention of my forum (everythingberry.net) is BlackBerry's, so it would be sweet if there was a way to make it easier to navigate on a BB. i tried the "Lite (Archive) Mode" which looks really good mobile, but since it's 'archive' mode, no posting possible..

thanks in advance.
I'm working on it. Smile
(2009-05-06, 06:11 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I'm working on it. Smile

sweet.... when/if you need a tester let me know. and estimated time of release ?
(2009-05-06, 06:17 PM)rboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-06, 06:11 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I'm working on it. Smile

sweet.... when/if you need a tester let me know. and estimated time of release ?

I'll let you know if I need testers. ETA = When it's ready. You will need to have cURL installed on your server btw (if I resort with that path).
(2009-05-06, 06:18 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I'll let you know if I need testers. ETA = When it's ready. You will need to have cURL installed on your server btw (if I resort with that path).

cool.... i'll install whatever needed, i'll cross that bridge when we get there.
(2009-05-06, 05:32 PM)rboy Wrote: [ -> ]i downloaded a plugin -MyBB eCellular 1.1.2- that was suppose to make the forum easier accessible for mobile phones, on my BB Storm i saw no difference and a Curve user couldn't get on the forum at all (until i deactivated the plugin) so that was counter productive :}

You can only access it by going to yourforum.com/cell/ (iirc) - It uses the WAP protocol so it was built for older phones. Newer generation phones are starting to be able to interpret and display standard html.
(2009-05-06, 09:35 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-06, 05:32 PM)rboy Wrote: [ -> ]i downloaded a plugin -MyBB eCellular 1.1.2- that was suppose to make the forum easier accessible for mobile phones, on my BB Storm i saw no difference and a Curve user couldn't get on the forum at all (until i deactivated the plugin) so that was counter productive :}

You can only access it by going to yourforum.com/cell/ (iirc) - It uses the WAP protocol so it was built for older phones. Newer generation phones are starting to be able to interpret and display standard html.

Although that is true, it's so hard to navigate on a fullblown MyBB on a cellular phone.
My Mobile application will list the latest 10 - 15 threads, posts, and users. Otherwise, you can use the search feature included in the app.
(2009-05-06, 09:51 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]My Mobile application will list the latest 10 - 15 threads, posts, and users. Otherwise, you can use the search feature included in the app.

why is that if i may ask (which i just did :}
(2009-05-07, 12:43 PM)rboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-06, 09:51 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]My Mobile application will list the latest 10 - 15 threads, posts, and users. Otherwise, you can use the search feature included in the app.

why is that if i may ask (which i just did :}

A mobile phone has a small screen unlike a monitor. Listing all the forums and threads will take ages to scroll through. Hence, I opted-out the forums and categories, and kept the threads and posts as mentioned in my previous post. You'll be able to reply to the threads, but you cannot post new threads. You'll be able to view the users profile in a nice mobile look and feel, but you will not get the PM, Email, Reputation, and similar functionality. Of course, forum permissions work, but I've broken it down a bit so they must have all the viewing perms to see the thread in the list, otherwise, I exclude it. Yes, this means staff can view the "private" threads in the latest threads/posts if applicable, while others won't (as expected. Toungue).

I will add new thread functionality in the future for moderators and super admins for those threads needed to be posted while on the go. Toungue

I'm 1/3 done with this but not quite ready to post screenshots.

You can continue the discussion here: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-49480.html
Pages: 1 2