MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: email address instead of username
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Is it possible to use an e-mail address instead of a username ?

Secondly,

Can we connect another PHP/Mysql database to the same users database, so we don;t have to create 2 sets of logins ?

Many thanks

Andy Dyble
Midsoft
I think you should ask for a modification which does it. As much as I know, MyBB doesn't have a setting that allows it.
For your second question, you mean that you want to integrate another database of another system with MyBB's database. Well, You can integrate your MyBB into your website, but connecting an existing database with MyBB's requires tools that will do that action (I know that a system which will integrate WordPress and MyBB is on its way, but I don't know of another tools).
So if I understand this correctly you want to display the users email address and not their username? I would so not join that board.
Mmm, and if an email address harvester comes along it's going to have a field day. As for using the same users table, it is physically possible but it isn't really that straight forward, involves core file edits, and I'm unaware of anyone who has asked to do it ending up successfully doing it.
Well, I understood that he wants members to use their email in registrations and logging actions. Was I wrong?
(2009-05-07, 09:20 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Mmm, and if an email address harvester comes along it's going to have a field day. As for using the same users table, it is physically possible but it isn't really that straight forward, involves core file edits, and I'm unaware of anyone who has asked to do it ending up successfully doing it.

Hi

This will be a private forum, not on a public server. It may be that we set up the users using the admin function if possible, and prevent new users registering themselves. It's one extra thing they don't have to remember.
On the point of using the user database elsewhere, isn;t it just Mysql and PHP ? Can't we just connect to the Mysql database and read the table ?
However, if we use the email address instead of a username then this won't be needed as we already have the list of e-mail addresses.

Thanks
Andy
Thinking about it more, we could just use their real names or initials as we already have the list anyway.
(2009-05-07, 09:43 PM)adyble Wrote: [ -> ]On the point of using the user database elsewhere, isn;t it just Mysql and PHP ? Can't we just connect to the Mysql database and read the table ?

Sure you can. As I said, you can integrate your MyBB's system into your website by connecting to the database, and then read the details you need. Try this thread: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-6190.html