MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help,
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Another newbie question: "Your board status is currently set to closed."

Ok, I have been trying to look at all the options in the ACP. Somehow I must have closed my board when I was making a some modifications. Now I get the message listed above..."Your board status is currently set to closed."

Someone please tell me in exactly what section of ACP I need to go to turn my board back open again.

ThanksUndecided
ACP > Configuration > Board Online / Offline....
Thanks, but not quite. Your solution takes you to setting for the message when the the board is closed. After 2 hours, I found this exact solution: ACP > Configuration > Settings > (at the top of the page) > Modify Settings > Board Online / Offline > Board Closed > Options > Edit Settings > (bottom of the page) change "value" from 1 to 0 > save "Update Setting".

I post this for anybody who might have the same problem I had, and try searching for the terms "open board" or "board closed". This is how you correct the problem!
Er, no, you just set the setting I said to 'No'. There's only one setting in the Board Online / Offline settings group, when it's no, the forum is open, when it's yes, it's closed.... Undecided I'm honestly not sure how so many people don't get this setting, it's just a yes/no, on/off, you certainly don't need to go down the route you did....
(2009-05-08, 04:45 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Er, no, you just set the setting I said to 'No'. There's only one setting in the Board Online / Offline settings group, when it's no, the forum is open, when it's yes, it's closed.... Undecided I'm honestly not sure how so many people don't get this setting, it's just a yes/no, on/off, you certainly don't need to go down the route you did....

Actually it has 2 settings =P
On/Off and Offline Reason.
The 'Admin Note' does the trick to get people confused ^^
Put a * after the YesNo Option and that note under the YesNo in red would be better =P
(2009-05-08, 05:15 PM)LeX- Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it has 2 settings =P
On/Off and Offline Reason.

Shush Toungue

Yeah it is that bit that people seem to get confused with but, as with every other settings, the name of it is at the top of the table row, not half way down, it's just extra info. Should try and get it changed for 1.6 though.
Yes, that section is counter intuitive. The description for the board setting is this:
"These settings allow you to globally turn your forums online or offline, and allow you to specify a reason for turning them off."

Then I go to the setting page and it says, "Administrators will still be able to view the forums."
What is my natural reaction - to keep the forum in the default state, namely "ON'.

"ON" means turn the board on. "OFF" means turn the board off... right? WRONG! Off means on, and on means off!!

Can you see why this is a little confusing? I thought this was setting was saying... do you want the ability to turn the board on and off (presumably through some other setting), and do you want to use the blurb presented below to show up when the board is closed. So my pea brain thinks, "Yes, I want that ability to turn the board on and off", so I left the setting set at "ON".

This setting should simply say, Do you want to open or close your forum? +open +close

When the close radio button is pushed, THEN you can open your blurb about "If you need to close your forums .... they will see a message with the reason you specify below."
Huh

Look at it again. What's the name of the setting??

Board Closed

Ergo, no means it isn't closed, yes means it is. It's really very simple. The bit about admins viewing it is just extra information, it's not the name or the function of the setting as it's half way down the box.
I don't fined it at all confusing. The main header says Board Closed. Logically I think, do I want to close my board? and the right radio button would be yes.
(2009-05-09, 06:47 PM)Hobo Wrote: [ -> ]What is my natural reaction - to keep the forum in the default state, namely "ON'.

"ON" means turn the board on. "OFF" means turn the board off... right? WRONG! Off means on, and on means off!!

I used to find it confusing in the older versions of mybb, but it seems clearer enough now. However confusion could be utterly cleared if it had been like this:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Board Online / Offline

If you need to close your forums to make some changes or perform an upgrade, this is the global switch. Viewers will not be able to view your forums, however, they will see a message with the reason you specify below.

Note: Administrators will still be able to view the forums.

Close Board?

Yes No
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The good thing, however, is that this and other sections of the Admin CP are customizable. I have changed a few of them already through the Languages section.

Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2