MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installation Guide For an Idiot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Someone please help me out - I'm such an idiot...
do you have a web server ?
(2009-05-09, 03:24 AM)nickman Wrote: [ -> ]Try the MyBB Wiki:
http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Installing

That link is not meant to be for dummies!Rolleyes I promise to do one in the summer and post it here. Dummies need to be introduced to the ABC of everything through extensive explanation, examples, and presentations. The basic requirements section, for example, states that:
    *  PHP version 4.3.11 or above with XML Extension installed
    * MySQL version 4.0 or above, PostgreSQL, or SQLite
    * FTP access (or another way to upload the MyBB software to your web server) 

A dummy would certainly be at a loss with terms such as PHP, XML, MySQL, and FTP.Huh

As far as I remember, there was a flash tutorial here somewhere, a few years ago, which I cannot locate now. It was precisely what dummies look for. Anyway, that's what I intend to do in the summer, as I promised, and it will include both: pre-and-post installation instructions. Needless to say, a separate tutorial should be devoted to "how to cope wit post-upgrade ordeals"!!

Regards
XML Extension is XSL on some php newer versions correct ?
There's a limit to how much we can 'dumb it down' (not the best way of saying it but you know what I mean). If we spell it out too much, people get offended. If we're not clear enough, they say they don't understand. Can be a fine line between the two with some people. If jtylerblue could say if there's a particular bit they're not sure on, we could explain that bit better.
XMLPC is an extension but on another forum that supports webserver with php and other things from questions to sugestions I was told by someone that it is not needed if we have XSL

XSL is like the newer version and works a bit better for php scripts
someone had told me to enable this Extension XSL

please tell me if this is correct or not ???

thank you
All the requirements should be clearly visible on the host anyway, you don't need to 'know' anything about them. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent host that doesn't meet the requirements.
right but theres some who have to Install MySql, PHP, PhpMyAdmin, Apache on some Windows OS

See i own a dedicated gaming machine that I only use for this forum cause I LOVE MYBB and I pay under 50$ a month but i had to install my own Web Server on this machine and enable all the things needed to run MyBB.

Some people use there own Server and maybe the question that the Beginer of this thread was asking on the whole system and what he needs to run a proper MyBB forum, along with all the essentials to start hosting his MyBB.

I know that I had to install on my own Apache php and mysql on my Windows System and then enable everything that i had searched on the Net to get it running ... Im sure 99% use LINUX and from what I understand on LINUX machines is that everything is usally enabled by default, but not for Windows.
Pages: 1 2