MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is shared hosting sufficient?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a general question, but if a forum were to have say 3000 registered users and upto 200 people active at any one point in time - is a shared hosting account usually sufficient or is a dedicated server needed?

Thanks Smile
I'd say a VPS sounds more realistic.
(2009-05-09, 06:42 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say a VPS sounds more realistic.

Thank you very much! Big Grin
Definitely a VPS or dedicated server would suffice. You wouldn't want a forum of that size on a server that is shared.
(2009-05-09, 07:14 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely a VPS or dedicated server would suffice. You wouldn't want a forum of that size on a server that is shared.

Thanks muchly! Smile I think 3000 registered users + 200 active is probably an over-estimation (hard to tell considering the user base) but to stay on the safe side...

Is there some sort of a tipping point or critical figure where a VPS becomes necessary and a shared server insufficient?
yeah, for price and load, use VPS Smile
Uhh... most forums with many active users online at the same time often generate higher than average CPU loads and consume more RAM. If your forum's activity is very evenly spread out throughout the day, you could try shared hosting first, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Are you having troubles with server load and your site loading slowly?
Quote:upto 200 people active at any one point in time
^ Define that a bit more clearly. Is that based on "Who's Online" activity? If so, what's the WOL interval set to?
(2009-05-10, 12:27 AM)hamster Wrote: [ -> ]Uhh... most forums with many active users online at the same time often generate higher than average CPU loads and consume more RAM. If your forum's activity is very evenly spread out throughout the day, you could try shared hosting first, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks for the info. Smile That makes a lot of sense. Maybe it can start out with shared hosting, and then if necessary, move on to VPS if it does reach such high numbers. I wonder if the cut off point is something like 50 or 100?

(2009-05-10, 12:33 AM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Are you having troubles with server load and your site loading slowly?

Thanks Wink It's not a site that has been setup at the moment. I'm guess-timating (if there's such a word) what the volume of registered users/activity might be and potentially what might be needed to support it.

(2009-05-10, 05:02 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:upto 200 people active at any one point in time
^ Define that a bit more clearly. Is that based on "Who's Online" activity? If so, what's the WOL interval set to?

Something I didn't think about at all - thank you. If it were setup, I think the WOL interval would be something like 15 minutes (default?) where 200 people is probably an overestimate and the maximum number really.