MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can someone help me with a very basic (and probably stupid) question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using Smart FTP to transfer my files. I think I am doing things the hard way as it takes me forever to move all my files.

When I upload a plug in or files for upgrade to the next mybb version, I am dragging the contents of each folder (or subfolder) to the folder on the root directory on my server. It is taking me forever. Is there an easier (and faster) way to do this??

Hopefully, I am making sense Blush
I used to use Smart FTP but found it to be very slow at times. Now I use the FTP program named Filezilla, and it's a whole lot faster, just Google the name and you'll find it, and won't be sorry.
You can upload all the files at once as long as the structure of the files are the same as your structure on the server. Some plugins just give you the files and don't put them in the structure for mybb and the creator of the plug in just tells you where to put them.

For example if you were to upgrade to the latest version of mybb you could rename the Upload folder to match the name of the folder on your server like for example your site was example.com/forums and your files for mybb is in a directory called forums then just rename the Upload folder to forums. Then you would just have to drag and drop the forums directory on your local machine into ftp into the same place your forums directory is stored on your server. If you didn't mess with the structures of the files then the files would go in the needed place.

I hope you get what I am saying.
Skywalker - That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! It was driving me crazy opening the inc/languages/english/admin copying the files and dropping them in the inc/languages/english/admin folder on the server. Whenever I would drag the whole folder, it just looked like another folder in the forum folder rather than merging each folder on my local computer with the folders on the server LOL.

I am going to try that now!

Thank you so much Smile

Lufbra - I will check out filezilla too! Thank you for the suggestion.
There are alot of really good ftp programs out there. I use winscp for basic site edits and I use net2ftp to chmod , unpload/unzip, and move files around.

the net2ftp I was able to install on my site for others to use as well.
The fastest way is to upload all files as one archive and then decompress it to a folder on your server using your server's File Manager.