MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Viewing New Threads vs New Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My name is sherri, and I am totally new here. I am a moderator with limited admin privileges. My administrator asked for me to post this here, and try to figure this out. Anything I can do to help him out. Thanks in advance for your help. The url site is http://www.everthingberry.net

Many of our members are used to the vBulletin by Jelsoft Industries. With this sytem, when you reply to a thread, And then click "view new threads", your post is not there (as it isn't new to you...)

Scott, one of our members who is a supermoderator on the vBulletin software says this:

after i reply to a post or read a post they hang there shown as read but are still visable in the 'new post' search...make sense right?

BUT

if i leave posts unread and close the internet browser and then a few hours later come back on and hit 'new posts' i wont see any posts that i left unread BUT if i go to the main forum page i can see that there are still unread posts in other forums but it appears that i will see new posts create SINCE i logged off
better?

Does this make any sense here? I am the least techy person in the world, but my admin trusts me to support him and get the job done. Any help will be totally appreciated...

Thanks in advance for your help!
I get this as well. I am pretty sure that it is caused by the new posts not updating straight away, instead it takes some time to update, therefore the read posts disappear.
If I'm not mistaken, the "View New Posts" feature actually goes off your 'lastvisit' data (when your session was last active (IIRC)), rather than the new posts you haven't read yet.

This is why Scott is still seeing "read" posts in the View New Posts search. It's because it's looking for all new posts since he last visited the forums, rather than the new posts he hasn't read or since he clicked on the link.

There are plugins available though to view new threads / view threads without replies - I can't quite gather from your post whether it's one of these you're having trouble with or with MyBB itself (you mentioned view new topics, which isn't in MyBB).
(2009-05-12, 08:31 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm not mistaken, the "View New Posts" feature actually goes off your 'lastvisit' data (when your session was last active (IIRC)), rather than the new posts you haven't read yet.

This is why Scott is still seeing "read" posts in the View New Posts search. It's because it's looking for all new posts since he last visited the forums, rather than the new posts he hasn't read or since he clicked on the link.

There are plugins available though to view new threads / view threads without replies - I can't quite gather from your post whether it's one of these you're having trouble with or with MyBB itself (you mentioned view new topics, which isn't in MyBB).

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Tomm, it is "our" own forum I have the trouble with, not the MyBB forum. I don't quite understand why the software looks for new posts from his last visit, rather than last time he clicked the link... I thought it should work by "view todays posts" should take you to the last read post in the thread most recently updated (whether read or not) and the "view new posts" should only take you to completely new (unread) posts. On the vBulletin, if I am the last replier to a post, and I click "view new posts" all other posts that are new come up, but not mine...(not "new"). If I have read all the days posts, I get a message "There are no new posts. To view posts that have been updated in the last 24 hours, click here".

I will mention the plug ins th rboy (my administrator) and see what he thinks. I read all posts, so for me it isn't an issue! Thanks again for your help, and for having me as part of the community!

-Sherri
hi!

we're having the same problem with our forum.. or i think so!

http://www.ngage.it/forum/

When i try to see the "view new posts" what i get is only a semi-random list of the day-posts..

I bear in mind that once i've clicked on a post's link (and maybe even replied to it) it will be flagged as a "read" or not-new post.. and that i'm not going to see it again in the new posts screen..

But it's still there.. Yes it's flagged as read (mh well.. it's better to say that it's no more flagged as unread i think..).. But it's still between other "new" posts...

There's a way for the forum to determinate already read posts (aka posts with no new reply from last visit in that post) and don't show them anymore?

if there's 4 pages of new post and i have to read at least half of them.. it'll be more easy to filter posts by pressing F5 to refresh the page that isn't going to show already opened posts anymore..

I hope that my explanation of this trouble isn't so far from being comprehensible.. must give apologizes for bad-english Blush

Thanks Sleepy