MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Agent attaching to member's IP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Unusual activity in visitor's logs:

This agent, with varying (but similar) IP's all tracing to Witchita, Kansas, seems to be attaching itself to member's IP's. For example, a member with a constant IP in, say, Canada, will show up with one of these agent's IP's tracing to Witchita, Kansas.

Quote:Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; AOL 9.1; AOLBuild 4334.5006; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Can anyone help me understand why this is happening?

Just to try to explain more clearly, let's say there is a member whose IP is always 87.154.43.5, tracing to Canada. Then one day on the WOL list, their IP has changed to 205.188.116.67 (which is the agent's IP above) tracing to Witchita, Kansas.
Send them an email and see if they are now using America Online as their ISP.

Go to this link and put in the IP address
http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp
No, they have not changed ISP's. I banned the AOL IP's in question and now the member can't log on.
Ha! Actually I just found out they have been using both Earthlink AND AOL. It appears that on earthlink they have one IP addy, on AOL they have another. Is that wierd?
Why dont you try labroque PROXY MOD ?
Hmm...........I'll go look for it - thanks!
(2009-05-13, 06:43 PM)farleyq Wrote: [ -> ]No, they have not changed ISP's. I banned the AOL IP's in question and now the member can't log on.
Ha! Actually I just found out they have been using both Earthlink AND AOL. It appears that on earthlink they have one IP addy, on AOL they have another. Is that wierd?

I think I have heard of AOL members that use their dial-up uses a different ip address each time they sign on.
(2009-05-13, 08:24 PM)skywalker2208 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-13, 06:43 PM)farleyq Wrote: [ -> ]No, they have not changed ISP's. I banned the AOL IP's in question and now the member can't log on.

I think I have heard of AOL members that use their dial-up uses a different ip address each time they sign on.

Yes, dial-ups use a pool of numbers, randomly assigned. I'm wondering if ALL AOL's ip's trace back to Witchita.
(2009-05-13, 08:24 PM)skywalker2208 Wrote: [ -> ].....
ANY dial up user will have a different IP each time they dial up their ISP. I have found that AOL users all go through a Proxy so the IP I see in my website logs is NOT the IP the user has.