MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you backup your site and databases?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm using two great FREE tools for performing backups:

1. MyBackup: Check the site

With this too I can backup my whole site (or part of it) and my databases, and save them to any external FTP location, or to my local server, or even to any email address (which allows large attachments). It does the job in no time (depending on the size of your site).

2. The second tool is the renowned MySQLDumperwhich is the easiest backup/restore program for MySQL-Databases.

The reason why I believe those tools are essential is because I find the CPanel of most servers too slow to perform actions. The other reason is that phpMyAdmin can go crazy when exporting large sql files.

Do you know other free backup tools that you recommend for our members here?
Or just do it easily from the Admin CP.
I have a script that emails me a backup of my sites every 2 days.
I have a cron that runs a shell script every 4 hours for my main databases along with my daily, weekly, and monthly full backups of all of the sites on my server created by cPanel/WHM.
I preform backups weekly and sometimes daily. However, I don't worry about it too much since I'm running RAID 0.
For my school project we had 12 hour SVN and SQL backups to Gmail Toungue
(2009-05-14, 04:53 AM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I preform backups weekly and sometimes daily. However, I don't worry about it too much since I'm running RAID 0.
I assume you meant RAID 1 there.
And do understand that RAID 1 provides redundancy, not data protection...

Simple cron works for me.
I use the mybb database backup and then a cron to send the database to a gmail account that stores the databases every other day.
(2009-05-13, 09:26 PM)Combo Wrote: [ -> ]Or just do it easily from the Admin CP.

In my experience, while the Backup via ACP is a really convenient feature, it becomes almost useless when a board hits a certain size. PHP will timeout midway through and give you an incomplete backup.

I don't know if MyBB ever suffers from this issue, but a lot of scripts that have Control Panel backups do.

Always recommend using SSH to back up your databases.

Anyway, I use a daily cron to backup my forums database into a folder not located in public_html. And a monthly cron to backup the entire server onto a backup hard drive.
(2009-05-14, 09:02 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-14, 04:53 AM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I preform backups weekly and sometimes daily. However, I don't worry about it too much since I'm running RAID 0.
I assume you meant RAID 1 there.
And do understand that RAID 1 provides redundancy, not data protection...

Simple cron works for me.

My apologies, it's actually RAID 5 iirc. I'll check it soon again, it has been a while since I've set it up. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3