MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A tour into editing your groups / user titles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heloo there,

The next after setting up your categories and forums, is to make sure of the group settings and user titles.

So here we are going to talk about
  • Editing an existing?? group
  • Adding a new group
  • Understanding the concept of all the settings
  • Understading the Roles
  • Working on user titles

Editing an existing group

Point to Admin CP > Users and Groups > Manage Groups

[Image: 1.JPG]

The list will show you, your existing user group (they are the default) with the number of users in them.

Now as you want to edit a group, point to the drop-down box where it says edit Usergroup and click GO.

[Image: 2.JPG]

(1) - Is the title of the group, you may change it as you want, this will appear bellow the avatar, as the group the member belongs to.
(2) - In case you'd like to add a describtion E.G. those are the normal registered users.
(3) - This is the style you want the username of the person belongs to this group to appear.
You may change color, and style. e.g. <font color="red"><b><i>{username}</i></b></font>. you can add strike trough, underline etc..
(4) - The user title is something we are gonna discuss after a while, but in general it's whether a title that appears depenind on the # of posts , or as you want it, the user may change it later, and u may also specify it here. e.g. Spam members
(5) - It's the number of stars, you may use this when editing forum team in case u want to add more stars. but for norma members keep it depends on the user titles.
(6) - The image of the star, in case u wanna change the default just change the URL.
(7) - In case you wanna add a group image here is the place, the group image is an image that appears above the avatar, describing the role of the group in general (not necessary) it's like the one you may find it here for Translators.
(8) - In case this is a part of the forum team, like super mods, mods, this should be set to YES, rather put it NO. coz this is what will decide if it should appear in the forum team list or not.
(9) - In case you wanna bann this group , just edit it this to YES. sure we're not gonna go it in this case.
(10) - Sure this will have to be set as YES, else the users of this group wont be able to see the forums.

[Image: 3.JPG]

(11) - these are issues that deal with persmissions, sure i recommend setting it all to yes, as these are important, only in somecases if u want for example to disallow this group from downloading attachement or something.
(12) - Also the default setting here are preffered, as u need this group to post thread replies, and u may want them also to rank a thread.
(13) - In case u dont want those guys to put attachment set this to??NO
The Attachment quota, is the size of the uploaded file those users are allowed to upload. 0 mean unlimited, so setting this in KB depends on your ability to store big files or not.
(14) - This will deals with own threads/posts/attachments editing, always set this to yes, as an error may accur while this guy is making his topic, so he should be able to edit it,or delete it.
(15) - This part will deal with reputation, it 's very clear it depends on u.

[Image: 4.JPG]

(16) -??also this deals with reputation the 1st one, specify the number of points will be given to a person who's given a reputation from a user of this group.
the sec one, set the max number a user can giver reputation for users per day.
(17) - Also this is clear, and about polls. allow or disallow.
(18) - These options are about private messages, whether to allow using it , or not, deniying a pm is not accepting it.
The PM quota, is the amount of space in PM system u want users of this group to use of the general space you have. dont set this to 0 as 0 is unlimited, especially if u have a big forum. setting this depends on the number of PMs not KBs, as u set this a space bar will appear in the PM system.
(19) - This deals with calender and events. also so clear.

[Image: 5.JPG]

(20) - If you want the users of this group to see who is online in the page ./online.php this should be set to YES, aslo in case if u want them to see the invisible user ( this should be customized depending on the importance of the group), or to view the ips of the poeple online (Preferrer is the Default).
(21) - Accessing User Cp is very important so keep it YES. changing the user name is not always prefered, so make it NO,??coz this may coz some conflicts on the board. the other 2 options depends on u.
(22) - For normal members sure u wont allow them to log into the Admin cp, and also dont set this as super mod , as then he will be able to move delete etc.. posts.
(23) - Also these are clear, and the default is??the best option.

Adding new groups

In the main page of the Manage Groups, point to Creat New Usergroup, on the top right hand of the screen, this will take you to the same page as editing a group, so follow the same things above.

Understanding the concept of the settings
Note that, some settings may require groups that are skilled to take control of the site, such as Super mods, and mods, editting these settings, should allow different and more options than the normal members.

To ensure your security and the security of your members, keep most of the settings as default for normal members.

Uderstanding the roles

If you set a group as Super Mod.
this will allow it to Edit, Move, Delete, stick, unstick, split, Merger, Approve, and Anapprove threads and post, along with different other options regarding to the IPs, invisilble users , Baning members.

This super mod group will be allowed to be a moderator to all the forums.

Setting Mods, is different than super mods, whereas mods are only able to control specific froums or catefory.

Working on user titles

As user titles can also be considered as a type of groups, cause it differenciate member by their number of posts, and divide them into groups, as the photo bellow shows, it describes more.

[Image: 6.JPG]

The idea of this thing is that as u post more posts, you will be able to move from level to level (like ranks).

So as you post for example more than 50 posts you will move from a junior member to member (or as u specify it)

Let's go and edit it:

[Image: 7.JPG]

as seen

(1) - Is the desired name for this number of posts.
(2) - Is the minimum posts that a user should have to be included in this title
(3) - As you move from a title to another, one or more than a star will be added, so here u specify how much stars this group should put.
(4) - The star image, such as the group editing.

Now let's add an new one:

In the main page of User titles, click on Create new user title, you will be take to page just like to one you have for editing, just fill everyhing.

Well this is a little tour, to make a clear idea on working with groups.
I will soon post a thread on other settings for the board.

SO many regards
WOW nice explanation there. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
very good explanation..

thank you..

Hi,
Thanks for the wondeful tutorial, but I wanted to use these titles to give priveledges.
For example a newbie with less than 100 posts has all his/her posts moderated. A member with >100 posts is unmoderated.
Could not find any way to have user priveledges according to their titles
nice tutorial. friends whether there is any chance that i can create a user title , based on no. of posts in specific forum.
for example if my forum contains A, B, C FORUMS. i create three new user titles like SUBJECT A MASTER, SUBJECT B MASTER , SUBJECT C MASTER. And user will given title like SUBJECT A MASTER if he has a specific number of posts in forum A.
thanks for reading
Brilliant.

Fantastic, well explained tutorial.

Must have taken you bloody ages though!!
I'd like to know how to do this:
- I want to add an image to the administrator group.
- I do not want any srat.gif images.
- I do not want any titles.
I want it to looks like this:
[Image: groupimagegw9.jpg]
So what shall I put into different fields:
  • Title
  • Descreption
  • Username Style
  • User Title
  • No. of Stars
  • Star Image
  • Group Image
Here are what I have:
  • Title : Administrators
  • Descreption: The group all administrators belong to.
  • Username Style: <span style="color: green;"><strong><em>{username}</em></strong></span>
  • User Title: Administrator
  • No. of Stars: 0
  • Star Image: images/star.gif
  • Group Image: team-administrator.gif
It looks like this now:
[Image: groupimageko1.jpg]
I've uploaded the team-administrator.gif to
forum/images/groupimages/english/
Please advise!
for no star, just creat a blank gif (with 0 background)
and put in the star image field
Actually, I don't have an enough idea on how to edit my group or user title. That is why I did my own research to internet, and I have found out that by editing a group or user titles, it depends on the group settings you can or cannot see and/or edit certain things. The owner will have to give the officer's permissions.

(2007-10-07, 10:21 AM)MGadAllah Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to know how to do this:
- I want to add an image to the administrator group.
- I do not want any srat.gif images.
- I do not want any titles.
I want it to looks like this:
[Image: groupimagegw9.jpg]
So what shall I put into different fields:
  • Title
  • Descreption
  • Username Style
  • User Title
  • No. of Stars
  • Star Image
  • Group Image
Here are what I have:
  • Title : Administrators
  • Descreption: The group all administrators belong to.
  • Username Style: <span style="color: green;"><strong><em>{username}</em></strong></span>
  • User Title: Administrator
  • No. of Stars: 0
  • Star Image: images/star.gif
  • Group Image: team-administrator.gif
It looks like this now:
[Image: groupimageko1.jpg]
I've uploaded the team-administrator.gif to
forum/images/groupimages/english/
Please advise!

Could anyone please awnser this?
I'm having the same problem! UndecidedDodgy