MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Search engine that threats google
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,
This was just on the news so I did some research adn Ima keep this VERY short.

Wolfram Alpha was made by a british company, it was made to basicly do waht google had done to the first search engine [http://www.alltheweb.com/]

Gooogle performance:
You search something and it will give you a load of links to other sites looking up keywords from your search. [Google.com]

Wolfram Alpha performance:
Will take your search thing and will accutly give you what you want [I duno how to explain]. [wolframalpha.com - Being released this month - I think its today or tomoz]

This is belived to take over google soon!
Wolfram Alpha is not a Google killer, and it won't take over Google.

Whereas Google is a 'search' engine, Wolfram is an 'answer' engine. It isn't designed to replace Google, it's a mere alternative to search.

For example, you can search Google for 'Mark Twain', and it will bring up an entire plethora of results, no doubt. In Wolfram, you would search for something a bit more specific - "What was Mark Twain's real name?", and it will simply say: "Samuel Langhorne Clemens", with a list of sources from the web.

Fantastic idea, but it isn't a search engine.
(2009-05-15, 06:41 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Wolfram Alpha is not a Google killer, and it won't take over Google.

Whereas Google is a 'search' engine, Wolfram is an 'answer' engine. It isn't designed to replace Google, it's a mere alternative to search.

For example, you can search Google for 'Mark Twain', and it will bring up an entire plethora of results, no doubt. In Wolfram, you would search for something a bit more specific - "What was Mark Twain's real name?", and it will simply say: "Samuel Langhorne Clemens", with a list of sources from the web.

Fantastic idea, but it isn't a search engine.

It'll do exactly what ask.com does or that other company Microsoft recently acquired.

Google will not be replaced due to the fact that it has become a used term in nearly everyones daily life. "Google it", "did you Google it?" "Search it = Google it". No one anywhere will say "Yahoo! it" or "Live it", or even "Cuil It". Google has become a general term in our vocabulary which is why it's becoming extremely difficult to replace it. Oddly enough, I've even heard "I've Googled it on Yahoo!".
(2009-05-16, 12:53 AM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly enough, I've even heard "I've Googled it on Yahoo!".
Google's lawyers don't like that. Smile

When I say Google it I mean use Google. It's stupid otherwise.
(2009-05-16, 02:37 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-16, 12:53 AM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly enough, I've even heard "I've Googled it on Yahoo!".
Google's lawyers don't like that. Smile

When I say Google it I mean use Google. It's stupid otherwise.

If I tell you who said the Google on Yahoo!, you'd be shocked. Not going to say who said it here in the comm forums, not that it's a user here, but I'd rather not.
Well google is now part of the English language, so it technically works. However, it is mainly used for Google (obviously).

Definition 1: to search for information about a specific person through the Google search engine
Definition 2: to search for information on the Internet, esp. using the Google search engine