MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving Forum to A Different Host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here's my dilemma. My current host is completely unreliable and it's really getting frustrating. How would I go about moving my forum (all post, members, threads & such) to a new host? If you need any further information ask. Smile
Change board URL setting and cookie settings if they'll be changing (i.e. if your URL will change), download all your files, backup your database, make a new database on your new host, import the backup to it, upload your files, edit ./inc/config.php to point to the new database, and everything should work Smile You'll obviously need to change the nameservers of your domain if applicable, too.
I'm right now using a free host since the board is only for a select few people. I had to have a friend install it for me. I am a litte knowledgeable but not that knowledgeable. I could do some of those things but could I get like a step-by-step guide? Sorry, still learning Wink
in phpmyadmin
there is the database name of your current project
mybb_ export that databse if it the default
there is an export button, which it will give you many oprtions and do everything by default
and the sql file should upload to your desktop ?
this an really interesting topic. since i have a plan to transfer from another hosting .. site..

i am really afraid to transfer my files to other hosting sites. Sad
(2009-05-16, 09:28 PM)Bored Much? Wrote: [ -> ]I'm right now using a free host since the board is only for a select few people. I had to have a friend install it for me. I am a litte knowledgeable but not that knowledgeable. I could do some of those things but could I get like a step-by-step guide? Sorry, still learning Wink

Well, how much detail would you need...?? Difficult to find the line sometimes, sometimes we're too vague so people don't understand and sometimes we explain too much and insult people's intelligence...

(2009-05-17, 03:24 AM)cobarde Wrote: [ -> ]this an really interesting topic. since i have a plan to transfer from another hosting .. site..

i am really afraid to transfer my files to other hosting sites. Sad

The files isn't the 'tricky' bit, to transfer the files you just need to zip them up, download them, and upload them to the new host.
I can 150% assure you, you won't insult my intelligence. I just really want to find out how to do this I'm running into problems currently.