MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Myth of Easy Success
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"You don't need to be a genius to know that most worthwhile things in life tend to take longer, and need much more work than we wish." (Source:"You Know It Don't Come Easy")

As mentioned in the same article cited above: a New Yorker essay called "Late Bloomers" compared precocious literary prodigies, like Jonathan Safran Foer, with authors who first "made it" in middle age, like Ben Fountain. (I highly recommend you read that article)

Every now and then we either hear or read a story of a sudden wealth or success; and the Sudden Wealth Syndrome has come to be a common term in our present age. Handling Sudden Wealth is also one of the most widely-googled search queries! What would you do if a check showed up one day for $100,000? is another serious question to be considered.

Some two months ago, mere chance led me to be acquainted with a person who owns a site which is packed with links to copyrighted content. Later on, he revealed to me through a chat that he was hoping to "strike oil" one day by selling his site.

Unfamiliar with this kind of business, I searched the web and found literally millions of topics with the theme of "how to become a millionaire" or "how make money the easy way" and that sort of stuff.

I also realized that there are several online types of business (including the domain names business, and online lottery, etc) through which one can make it--if one is lucky enough!

So far, I DO NOT believe in this myth of easy success.

I'd definitely consider leaving my current respectable job for a convincing method of becoming another Bill Gates!Big Grin

Is that possible? Or are we just being fooled by all those stories?
What do you think?

I think this is the best answer above "I have heard about such stories and believe they could happen"... I don't know why, how and when ? but these stories are happening in the world
(2009-05-21, 05:48 PM)maatty Wrote: [ -> ].... I'd definitely consider leaving my current respectable job for a convincing method of becoming another Bill Gates!Big Grin ...
You buy someone elses code cheap (CPM100), throw in a few lines of meaningless code, rename it (DOS) and then rent the rights to use it to a big company (IBM) but retain the copyright. Every few years add a lot of bloated code to make it bigger and slower and buggier and tell everyone they have to pay you for an upgrade .... that is bigger, slower, and buggier. Angel
(2009-05-21, 08:30 PM)Gene_RI Wrote: [ -> ]You buy someone elses code cheap (CPM100), throw in a few lines of meaningless code, rename it (DOS) and then rent the rights to use it to a big company (IBM) but retain the copyright. Every few years add a lot of bloated code to make it bigger and slower and buggier and tell everyone they have to pay you for an upgrade .... that is bigger, slower, and buggier. Angel

If that's the way he did it, then I'd rather be "Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied"!

I'm looking for a method that's totally legitimate and ethical!Sad

(2009-05-21, 07:14 PM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]...but these stories are happening in the world.

That we hear such stories is a fact, ghazal; but I guess the media exaggerates about such stories. People also have a tendency to color such stories with their own fantasies. Tell us one you have heard or read about, if you have the time to do so.
(2009-05-21, 08:45 PM)maatty Wrote: [ -> ]...Tell us one you have heard or read about, if you have the time to do so.

YouTube = The two founders made ~$1,500,000,000 ($1.5 Billion USD) in a short time (~2 years)
#############

1) You want something honest and ethical.
2) IMO, most honest "overnight sensations" spent many long, hard months (even years) preparing for their eventual success.

The success just appears easy when people see the end result getting a lot of attention in a brief time.
No. Because to do things your pain must be justified. You can't get it by letting time pass by. You got to clench your fists and fight through it.
I believe they could happen, but may not happen. I may be a hero, but I never was, and never will be.
It's possible but it's not going to happen for everyone Wink. Being the one who starts a pyramid scheme is probably the easiest that almost anyone can do. But, other than you just have to market something original.