MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Quoting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm not sure if this has ever been done so I'm suggesting it here. When someone quotes another person in a forum, the quoted member is notified.

This would be an option in the user profile. As good as this might sound, the quoted wouldn't be notified due to spelling errors.

Here's another suggestion. I've noticed a drop-down list of relevant member names when I send PMs in MyBB forum. Could this be used for quoting, so when a user types [quote= a drop-down list is presented allowing the user to select from the available names.

What do we all think?
I really like the first one! I'd love to see that

As for the second... I'm not sure, i quote many who aren't members on the board I'm on. =/ but it may be a good plugin! =D
First one sounds intresting but i have a hunch the second one would take up a bit of resources especially on larger forums and thus tacking the server/slowing down the forum.
True. I'm glad that you both like my first suggestion.
That's an incredibly useful and original idea, I would love to see the first suggestion in MyBB, it would be a very exclusive feature. Smile
I like the first one. The second one sounds like a nightmare. What if this was on NCABBS, with 30,000 users? Sounds like one hell of a server headache for very little gain...! If you think about it, normally when you're quoting something, you either "multiquote" or you click on the "reply" button in the postbit. You don't normally manually type [quote=adfaref...

Not really sure on the first one, come to think of it. An idea for a plugin, if you ask me. What if that member doesn't visit for a few days, and they've been quoted multiple times? What to do? Amend the PM message with links? Flood the PM inbox with 300 messages?
First Idea: It's interesting, but highly unnecessary.

Second Idea: My only question would be; why? The quoting system doesn't care what the username is.
1st should be a plugin; how many people are really going to care when they've been quoted, and care enough to be told every single time?? Enough for it to be a default feature?? Not really...

2nd is totally unnecessary. I haven't manually typed a quote tag that includes a username in ages and I doubt many other people have either. As Tom said, you normally either click the quote button or use multiquote. And, if you did manually type it, is it really that bad to type a few more letters rather than let the forum load it for you?? The time it takes to load the list would probably be longer than the time it takes to to type the name....
(2009-05-26, 07:06 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Flood the PM inbox with 300 messages?

Uh-huh Toungue
Tomm M Wrote:What if that member doesn't visit for a few days, and they've been quoted multiple times? Flood the PM inbox with 300 messages?
I said it would be an option in the user profile.

Tomm M Wrote:You don't normally manually type [quote=adfaref...
I've made a habit of it, because I find it easier to manage what I'm quoting.

With the second suggestion, you can scrub it off the white board. It would be nice as a plug-in but if it is really useless then I see no reason for it.
Pages: 1 2 3