MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugins, Mod & other questions as i think of them.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have high-falootin dreams of modding the ink outta my installation but i'm trying to get a handle on plugins and mods and how they're supposed to work

in most places, a mod(ification) is where you have to modify the core code to get the result youre after, and a plugin is code that's just kinda dropped into place and runs without incident.

I've seen some ... we'll call them "addons" (for lack of a better word) that do not require modifying code but are called mods, and other "addons" that DO require the modifications, and yet are called plugins. . . would someone clarify this for me please? i just want to get started on the right foot.
http://community.mybboard.net/attachment.php?aid=1144

I've seen this list of hooks here. very complete list of predefined tools. nice job.

as far as modifications are concerned, what's the opinion on introducing custom hooks to minimize necessary changes to core? is this encouraged? is it tuffer than meets the eye?
I think it's just easier to call them all mods or plugins. Saves on the confusion for everyone around.
But I think you're right. Mods edit the code (and use handles), plugins use the handles of the code.
If it's for naming your mod/plugin take which one sounds best Toungue.