MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Every php mail works except activation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.
First of all, I'm still loving MyBB. Thanks for the great software.

The only problem that I notice now is the activation email.
PHP mail functions work just fine. Admin can send an email within the forum and it successfully sends out with correct "from" address and nicknames.

It's when the forum trying to send out the member activation email upon registration. It does not work well. Error message is : "MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function."

I searched the forums here and found out that one of the modified version of php.php (simplephp.php) that works, but it had server's internal email address as "from" ([email protected]) which was a big security risk. My webhosting service lets me change the php.ini file so I changed the sendmail_from part, but didn't work either. Weird.

Then I tried with the SMTP gmail account, but didn't work.
I have my ISP SMTP emails but I'm thinking that could be a security risk too.

It's not a big deal since I can just do instant activation, but looks like something fishy is going on. I thought it was the server's fault but everything that utilize the php mail works fine EXCEPT the activation email part. Huh

Any suggestions?
(2009-05-28, 06:03 PM)torchsonghq Wrote: [ -> ]I have my ISP SMTP emails but I'm thinking that could be a security risk too.

With due respect, I think you are overestimating the "security risks". Anyway, I had this same problem years ago with one of my old hosts. The problem was of course a server-related one. I forced them to fix it for me. They never told me what they did: I don't think it was related to the php.ini settings at all. Some hosts have their secret ways of disturbing their clients: they may enable or disable a function without having to touch the php.ini.

Here is my suggestion: Download the attachment and decompress -> edit the "sendeail.php" and replace the:
 $to      = '[email protected]'; 

with your own email address, then save the modified file. Upload the 3 files to the root directory of your server. Go to the url and send yourself an email. And tell me the result please.

Regards
I received the email successfully.
What does that mean?
(2009-05-28, 09:09 PM)torchsonghq Wrote: [ -> ]I received the email successfully.
What does that mean?

It means that there is nothing wrong with the PHP mail function on your server. It must be something wrong with the plugin you are using for sending emails after activation. The plugin might not be compatible with your current version of MyBB or the current version of PHP mail () parameters on your server. Also check this for more details.

Regards
(2009-05-29, 02:44 AM)maatty Wrote: [ -> ]It means that there is nothing wrong with the PHP mail function on your server. It must be something wrong with the plugin you are using for sending emails after activation. The plugin might not be compatible with your current version of MyBB or the current version of PHP mail () parameters on your server. Also check this for more details.

Regards

Thank you for your input. I just don't know what is going on, because if it's the programming's fault, developers should've noticed it by now, but looks like everything's working fine on their side, right? The other concern is that our in-forum php emails using php mail DO work flawlessly.

What if I find the in-forum php email code and implement them for the activation? It'll be like forum system let admin account sending out the activation email.

..I'm not very good at programming so that suggestion might've sounded very stupid. Just a thought. Blush
(2009-05-29, 04:10 AM)torchsonghq Wrote: [ -> ]What if I find the in-forum php email code and implement them for the activation? It'll be like forum system let admin account sending out the activation email.

..I'm not very good at programming so that suggestion might've sounded very stupid. Just a thought. Blush

I'm afraid, It won't work that way. Maybe you'll find a solution if you have the patience to read this. Or try a different SMTP server other than google's. Here is a huge list.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried your host's smtp at all?

Regards
Do you have access to actual error logs from the server? Those may give you a better reason than generic error of mybb.
one of my friends gets the activation email while another one doesn't...idk why though as well
If "some" do get an email then it works. Why an email is rejected or not sent is another problem entirely. Who is your host? Again...do you have access to server logs?
yes I do have server logs...thing is I have tried about 3-5 different hosts and I still get the same problem
Pages: 1 2