MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Improve english
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2009-06-18, 05:42 PM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]Best wishes for the exams dvdxseo !!!

Thank you, the exam was a bit difficult but I've done all the 16 questions Toungue

PS: T0m, I'va just added you Wink
I look forward to talking to you two Big Grin
(2009-05-29, 08:28 PM)dvdxseo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a monster with english but sometimes I'm distracted Toungue

Hey, dvdxseo, you must be careful when you use a word like "monster", because it has a negative association (negativo associazioni) even though it also means "huge or large". I understand the cultural impact (impatto) that has its bearing (influenza) on your language usage; but one has to be cautious (cauto) when one is uncertain that the equivalent (equivalente) of one's language exists in the target language. Almost all Mediterranean languages have similar expressions and idioms but it is not true of other languages. It's funny, in my colloquial language (Egyptian) we say, "he/she is a giant / whale (at...)" to refer to someone who is very good at something but this is definitely meaningless in English.

(2009-05-29, 08:28 PM)dvdxseo Wrote: [ -> ]PS: @maatty: can you understand this? (if yes answer in italian xD)
Che canali guardi alla televisione?
BBC è il mio preferito canale.
Ho anche l'amore "Mind your language" episodi:

Whatch parts of it here.

(2009-05-29, 08:28 PM)dvdxseo Wrote: [ -> ]And this? Toungue
Cosa ne pensi di MyBB?

Penso che myBB non è ancora perfetto.Big Grin

Ciao.
ops Confused In italian "monster" has negative association, but also a positive association Toungue

PS: Grazie per aver risposto Toungue anche se hai sbagliato qualcosa di grammatica Toungue
(2009-06-22, 07:56 AM)dvdxseo Wrote: [ -> ]PS: Grazie per aver risposto Toungue anche se hai sbagliato qualcosa di grammatica Toungue
It's my pleasure. You see I'm only a beginner in Italian and grammatical mistakes are inevitable (inevitabile). As I see it, grammar is the "monstrous" part of any language. I daresay, English grammar is the easiest of all the languages I have learned so far. Fortunately (fortunatamente), life goes on without strict adherence to grammar. Of course this may upset strict grammarians on the academic level livello accademico; but their angry voices soon dissolve in the sea of ungrammatical reality.

Sometimes I try to figure out why certain nouns are considered "masculine" in some languages while the same nouns are "feminine" in other languages (example: "la casa" is fem. in Italian but masc. in Arabic "al Bait"), but I could never reach a logical interpretation! The definite and indefinite articles are other riddles in some languages: e.g. "The" in English is a time-saving article compared to the German "der - die - das - dem - den - des - and the plural 'die'". Of course prepositions are the worst obstacles for all language beginners: what is "on" in language is "in" in another and what is "since" is "from" in another, etc.

Mastering another language is a grande storia indeed.Big Grin

Ciao.
Pages: 1 2