MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My forum was hacked?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other day, I visted my forum and noticed when I typed in the address that it told me that it had been infected with a virus, and told me not to visit it - and no I did not visit it. Does anyone know why this happened?

~Frank
We can't really tell you why or how it happened, but what you can do is reupload all your files (download and delete ./inc/settings.php, let it regenerate, and delete ./inc/config.php and make a new one using code from here: [wiki]Inc/config.php[/wiki]), just so we know that all of the MyBB files are fresh and clean, and then go direct to ./admin/index.php and check all of your templates; open any that aren't default (when the template name is in green) and check no crazy javascript has been added anywhere, particurlarly in the header and headerinclude templates; usually when someone's forum is compromised there's some weird code added to a template.

Also take extra security precautions, CHMOD config.php to 444, put a .htaccess rule to block access to it, change your admin password, make sure it's secure... little things that may stop things like this happening.