MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Confused on what OS choose for my new laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think very soon my dad is giving me a new laptop. I want this to be my main computer, ok I don't really know what to say.. I want it clean and fast. Which isn't really my current computer, I don't even have an antivirus on it (which with Linux wouldn't be a problem).

But, I want Photoshop on the OS. Also I might need to install Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Fireworks and some other design/webdesign software.
I was almost sure about Linux (Ubuntu btw), untill I found Wine didn't run Photoshop very well.

I want to make my new laptop some kind of design/webdesign computer, and also for html, css, php and such programming (so yeah, a fine editor would be appreciated); as I'll be dedicating these holidays to learn PHP and create my site.

I have also thought about dual boot. Like a very old windows version for photoshop and such and Linux for programming.
Any opinions please?
Well I do know Photoshop CS2 runs fine in Wine. I'm to sure about newer versions as I haven't really checked on wine for like a year.

You could always get a mac book :p. Or, if you go with Linux I would recommend Linux Mint it's probably one of the easiest Distro's out there.

But, if you do get a PC I would recommend trying to get Windows XP(most likely 64-bit) or Vista of course. In less you want to use windows 7 RC which is out.

For an Anti-Virus I would recommend ESET Smart Security as it will do it all for you without taking up much ram.

For a web page editor(assuming you go with windows) notepadd++ or PSPad for me. Note those aren't WYSIWYG editors as WYSIWYG isn't really useful 95% of time.

For design I always use Photoshop as well I like it more than fireworks even for simple web images(idk why). But, you could always try a free ones like GIMP(powerful but has a learning curve to it) or Paint.net.
Linux Mint is good but if you want a nice environment for graphics i'd recommend ubuntu studios + wine. it has everything needed for it. no need for photoshop.<gimp Illistrator.<inkscape. and many more if you head over to ubuntuforums.org and ask.
Mac is one of the most used brands for design. I've got everything I need for webdesign in mine... Adobe Design Suite, Cyberduck (FTP), and TextMate (I prefer this one than Dreamweaver)
(2009-05-30, 11:41 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]Mac is one of the most used brands for design. I've got everything I need for webdesign in mine... Adobe Design Suite, Cyberduck (FTP), and TextMate (I prefer this one than Dreamweaver)

How much did that cost? (software?)
Googled Linux Mint after seeing it here, looks nice, may look into it...
(2009-05-30, 11:41 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]Mac is one of the most used brands for design.

That is a bit of a bold statement! Although mac's receive a lot of publicity for being used for design i am almost 100% sure that number of number there would be far more web and graphic designers using a PC than those using a Mac. Having said that, if you have the cash then a Mac might be a good option, you will need to buy all your software again though.

As for Linux, i ran Linux Mint for 5 months and ran Photoshop (CS), Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash under wine with no problems at all. Do be aware though that there often isn't Linux support for some of the top end or new hardware, particularly graphics cards. If you do decide that you want to go with Linux then i suggest getting a laptop with Intel CPU, WIFI and graphics as they support Linux.

Finally, if you go Windows (as i do now) you will almost certainly have to get Vista. If you do get Vista make sure you have at least 2gb of ram, i run 4gb in my laptop. You should also disable Aero and install a lighter visual theme such as Shiftie http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/art/S...2-93233965 which both looks nice and will reduce your base ram load.

My verdict:

If you are a Mac person and have a lot of cash, buy a Mac.

If you have a bit of money but don't want to buy your software again and like and are used to PC's get a high end pc.

If you are strapped for cash and are happy to use Linux (if you are a computer type of person you will love it) get a low end PC and install Linux.

-Tim.
I will most likely go with Linux Ubuntu, and I'm going to install a skin. The problem is, if Photoshop doesn't run on Ubuntu with Wine I'll have to give up from it, or maybe a dualboot with some very old windows OS.

I'm still looking for opinions regarding Wine and Photoshop and such. Will it work?
btw Tim, which version do you currently use? I use CS4 and I don't know if it would work.
I used CS1 when i ran it under wine. I use CS4 now though.

Maybe you could get an old computer and install linux to test if first.
And you use CS4 on what OS?
Pages: 1 2