MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Silk Icons + Licence + MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I noticed that MyBB (and so every download of this software) make use of the Silk Icons created by famfamfam.com

But I wonder why there is no credit to famfamfam.com within the package? According to the licence there have to be one.

Or I'm wrong?

Best regards.
Hmm...you're right. I don't see credit given anywhere in the download package.
I was about to make a thread myself about this.
The creative commons licence specifies:

Quote:Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

On Mark's website, he states:

Quote:As an author, I would appreciate a reference to my authorship of the Silk icon set contents within a readme file or equivalent documentation for the software which includes the set or a subset of the icons contained within.

"appreciate a reference" doesn't mean you must have a linkback or some sort of credit. Fam icons are pretty popular, and you can normally recognise them instantly. Invision use them too in IPB3, and yet (as far as I know) they haven't included in their licence. Playing around with RC1 of IPB3, I can't see any credit given either.

It would be nice, though.

(Don't use this as an "official" response! Personal opinion...)
I just see a credits.html in the docs section and I don't see why famfamsilk can't be credited there.