MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: blocking adblock software -- thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i was just thinking on this

how many of you have used ad blocking software

what are the thoughts of webmasters about using code that can block adblock users ---would you limit them to viewing only certain pages...to the amount of threads etc they can view

lets here some thoughts
If a website limited me because i used ad blocking software (ad block plus in my case) i would never visit that site again. IMO people have the right to choose whether or not to be exposed to ads in the same way you have the right to turn off/mute the TV when ads come on or turn down that radio during ads.

If people didn't abuse advertising and just put unobtrusive ads on their website then maybe there wouldn't be an issue but at the moment adblock plus has advantages that far outweigh the disadvantages.
I wouldn't have a problem with ads if they didn't take so long to load and often mess up the site's layout. Like Tim said, I would never visit that site again if it blocked me.

I also use AdBlockPlus. Big Grin With the element blocker helper addon it makes blockings ads so simple. Toungue
If not ad blocking software, proxies can also block images and ads, etc. - you are not going to effectively do anything other than annoy people.

If your website isn't annoying in the first place then people will not block things on your site. Simple as that.

Edit: Except for Google ads that I know of... Hmm.
I use the Adblock Plus Firefox Plugin.

Since using it pages load faster. I hate sites which are full of ads Sad